Chapter Twenty Four

(Playlist-Shirtsleeves by Ed Sheeran)

John

It has been a week since I returned home from James wedding. As Jane opened the door to welcome me home, the warmth and love in her eyes I had forgotten how it felt to come home. 
Jane glowed like the sunset before twilight. My God, pregnancy looks good on her. At least I am one hundred per cent sure that I am the father to this one. My life is a complicated mess, I have known that I would suck her in on my dark world but my selfish desires made me hold on to her. 

I wonder if her smiles would be so alive and warm if she ever finds out the truth about Chisom. She can never know, at least father assured me that much. That son of a bitch, I will never be free from him so long as he lives. 

The warm smile that welcomed me home vanished from Jane's face as the days go by. I know Jane, and her attitude has been strange and panicky. She's holding back. did something happen while I was away? Silas is my best chance of finding out. 

I went in search of the security guard, ''Silas, how're you?''

''Oga, well-done sir. this one way you find me come, shey no wahala?'' Silas questioned.

''I just want to know if anything unusual happened while I was away.''

''Oga if you mean to say whether person come this house when you travel, yes. That your fine secretary find madam come.'' He looks like he is deep in thought. ''She stay well oh.'' 

''I see, thank you very much.'' I walk away from Silas. Now, I know why Jane is in a mood. I wonder what they talked about. Did Kemi tell Jane about our affair? Oh shit! She must hate me so much.
Damn Kemi, you want to destroy the one good blessing in my life. 

I have been a mess since Chisom was born. It is high time I stood up for myself and be a father to my kids. That involves challenging my father, I will kill him first before he ever lays his filthy hands on Jane again. The guilt I have had to stomach this whole time, Kemi helped me forget for a while. But, in the long run, I am damaging my relationship with Maryjane. I know, it was not part of the plan, I love her and there is nothing Kemi or my father can do about it. 

I want to do better for Maryjane, but I fear that once she glimpses the darkness underneath all this safety, the slightest exposure to my secrets buried in the dark will provoke an eternity of hate. That is what I want, right? that Maryjane should hate me because it will make this whole problem easier. It is conflicting, wishing that she hates me, but clamouring for her love. How twisted! I will have a chat with Jane at dinner. 

Later that evening___________*******

I am sitting across from Jane, she has barely touched her food. She is peering at me like she wants to say something but refraining from doing so. The suspense is killing me, I wish she will speak and stop staring at me. I have never wanted to be Edward Cullen more than in moments like this.

''Jane, is something wrong?'' I caught her off guard, she did not expect me to ask. Well, it is hard not to notice her stares. I could see her eternal struggle whether or not to let me in. I wasn't prepared when she asks,

''Are you sleeping with your stepmother?''

''Wow! where did that come from?'' I blurt out, I could feel fear begin to paralyse me.

''Well, you asked if I am okay. Answer the question.'' Jane pressed on.

''Is this about Kemi? I know she was here.'' I approach the topic with caution, I don't know what Kemi revealed during her visit. Silas had said she stayed long.  

Jane drops her cutlery with a loud clank on the table, ''Of course you know. Nothing escapes you Mr Nwafor.'' she adds sarcastically. 

''Why Mrs Nwafor, and you're mad because I know about Kemi's visit.'' I equally respond with as much sarcasm. 

''That's not why I am mad.'' Jane pauses to breathe, ''I am... I don't know why I am mad.'' An obvious lie. I know she's lying. 

''You're mad because I was involved with her?'' there's no use threading carefully, I need to know the extent of what Kemi said to her so that I can fix it. 

''If by involve, you mean you have been cheating on me. I know, I have known for a while before Chisom was born.'' Her eyes are starting to water, but she's not looking at me with disgust yet.

''You knew...'' I breathe out, Jane shook her head in the affirmative.

''Are you sleeping with her?'' I know she's holding her breath to know whether I am having an affair with my stepmother. 

''No, I'm not.'' I respond, at least her question is about now. She did not ask if I have ever had sex with Ifeoma. There's no reason to resurrect the past. My father is crazy, he believes we are supposed to share everything. He made me do twisted things as a little boy who had no idea what's wrong or right. Technically, I am not lying to Jane.

''You're sure?'' she asks with teary eyes as she closes the gap between us.

I nod my head in the affirmative. Jane wraps her arms around my waist in a bone-crushing relief hug. She holds me so close, ''I'm sorry I doubted you there for a moment.'' her words broke my heart into million pieces. I hold on to her in my arms, we stay there enjoying the tenderness and serenity around us.

I bury my fingers into her hair and tilt her chin up with my right hand as I lower my lips to hers. I want to hold onto moments like this. I don't want to wake up from this beautiful madness. I know I am no good for her, but I kiss her anyway. Janes moan is all the encouragement I need to go on. I deepen the kiss as our tongues enter into a duet that is entirely too familiar.

The dining table served a great purpose that evening, a good thing that I invested in quality furniture for our home.

_______ 
Authors Note

Cheers to a new month lovelies.🥂
John is saying lots of foreign stuff...hmmm. I wonder what those secrets are? 🥳
What's your thought on this chapter? Leave a comment💌, and remember to tap the star to vote for this chapter. 👇
It doesn't cost a thing!

Follow Uche18 on Wattpad, or Mael_smart on IG to get a glimpse of my life outside of Wattpad.

May we meet again👉