Donut Day

Today, we are reminded that we're celebrating National Donut Day! Even though we don't need a reason to celebrate and eat a donut every day, we still honor this special holiday. 

There are many varieties of doughnuts outside of that most commonly known, including twist doughnuts, fritters, and the hugely varied and popular filled doughnut. Filled doughnuts come in a huge variety, including the very popular Devil Dog, a chocolate-covered delight filled with a rich cream. Glazed doughnuts filled with all sorts of delicious fruit are equally popular, with raspberry being a runaway favorite throughout the world.

There's something about that delicious deep-fried treat that brings a smile to everyone's face. Doughnut Day celebrates this wonderful treat, it's history, and the ladies who did something very special with these delicious goodies during World War I.

The origin of the hole, or say legend says, is when Harrison, out of a distaste for the undercooked centers and greasiness of the existing shapes and options, punched a hole in the center with a tin pepperbox. And voila, the traditional shape of the dessert you crave and love today was born. Allegedly.

Doughnuts didn't become widely available for public consumption until the 1920s when inventor, Adolph Levitt, created a gadget to mass-produce doughnuts from his bakery. Word caught on, and by 1934 at Chicago's world fair, doughnuts had become poster material. People around the world over soon began to fall in love with these tasty offerings.