Macaroon Day

Macaroons are easily one of our favorite cookies, and why wouldn't they be? They come in a delightful combination of flavors and are always beautiful to behold if you like cookies that is. While they originate in Italy, there's far more to these cookies than one nation can provide, which is why there are regional variations all over the world! Macaroon Day is a great opportunity to give them all a try, whether it's the dark spiced coconut flavor from the Dominican Republic or the thick velvety chocolate of the Scottish Macaroon, you're sure to find one you love!

The history of Macaroon Day starts in a place you might not imagine, an Italian monastery. You see, it was from this monastery that the macaroon recipe originated, eventually being brought to France and presented to the wife of King Henry the II, Catherine de Medici. For those who don't know, Catherine de Medici held a position that was perhaps even more enviable than being the wife of a King. She was the daughter of the Medici family, one of the two powerful banking families of their time (the other being the Fuggers). With such powerful family connections, she could have had her choice of any confection in the world at the time, but it was the Macaroon she fell in love with.

Most varieties of coconut macaroons are dipped in milk chocolate, dark chocolate or white chocolate. Almonds, pecans, cashews or other nuts are sometimes added to the cookie.