Martini Day

Let's shake up some gin and vermouth with ice and add a lemon twist. Today, we celebrate National Martini Day! 

The martini was originally called "The Martinez," named after the California Gold Rush for the town of Martinez, where it was invented. Early martinis were made with wine, gin, and an olive. But since it has expanded to many exciting flavors! This adult beverage has grown to become one of the best-known mixed drinks. 

A traditional or perfect Martini is made with equal parts gin and vermouth. For anyone who has never had a Martini, we have a list of terms to help get you started...

Martini Lingo

Dirty – This Martini includes olive brine or juice from the olive jar.

Dry – The vermouth is decreased significantly in the Martini, and gin becomes the primary spirit. Extra dry tips the ratio even further.

Gibson – Instead of an olive, bartenders garnish the Martini with a pickled onion.

Shaken vs. Stirred – Most bartenders will tell you that the better Martini is stirred. Shaken Martinis tend to be inferior due to a couple of reasons – ice chips water down the drink, and shaking the Martini adds air to the cocktail. A stirred Martini results in a smoother, fuller experience.

Straight Up – This Martini may be either shaken or stirred, but it is strained and served without ice – the opposite of a Martini on the rocks. 

Smoky or Burnt – Scotch whiskey replaces the vermouth in this Martini. A twist of lemon garnishes the glass.

Wet – Where the dry Martini has less vermouth, this one has more.

With a Twist – The bartender adds a thin strip of citrus peel to the Martini as a garnish or in the drink.

How do you prefer your martini?