Chapter 8; Octoling

It had been about a month since I had first moved in with Tres, she had offered for me to live with her so I agreed. I had gotten the hang of things. I knew what Turf War was, knew some common phrases, and common interaction. Tres said that it was like teaching a baby. I still didn't understand a lot. I guess that's why people call me innocent. I don't understand a lot of the things wrong in the world. I know that  mind controlled octolings are what's wrong. I don't think there's much else.
I was walking around Inkopolis Square with Tres. People didn't really know how they got the Great Zapfish back, or even who took it, they only knew that it was back. People didn't know that they were about to be killed by an ink rocket, they just knew that life went on. That's why Agent 3, Agent 6, Captain Cuttlefish, and the rest of Squidbeak Splatoon aren't famous. Also, because they don't know who took the Great Zapfish, people aren't exactly scared of me, and usually don't know that I'm even an octoling. Most people haven't seen octolings in their lifetimes, unless they're as old as Captain.
It was just a normal day, except it wasn't. I didn't really know that it wasn't a normal day until I figured it out. Because you know most things happen on mediocre days. And stuff. I think you get the point.
I hopped out of bed with a regular pep in my step and a whole lot of sunshine. I cheerfully poured my cereal and sat down on the couch and watched the sun rise. The Inkopolis skyline has entranced me ever since I got here. Tres usually doesn't get up for another 4 hours. I had a while. I stared longingly. Stars in my eyes. The dreamy trance. When a slammed door startled me. I jumped up and turned around to see Agent 8, with an angry face.
"Hey Opal."
"Hi?"
"Can I see Agent 3?"
"Umm, she usually doesn't get up for another four hours."
"Well I'll wait then."
"Why are you here~"
Agent 6 came running in, panting wildly.
"8, I told you not to~" he inhaled, "come here this~"
he inhaled again, "early."
I motioned for them to come sit.
"What's going on?" I asked.
"8 here is mad and stuff because 3~" Agent 6 started, but was cut off by Elliot putting his hand over Agent 6's mouth.
"Don't even." Elliot said threateningly.
"Uh okay." I said.
"I know 3 isn't exactly an early riser. I tried to stop him." 6 said.
"Yeah... she doesn't usually get up for another 4 hours..." I said, "what do you need from her?"
"We just need to talk." Elliot said.
"I don't see why you can't ask me." Steven said.
"I just wanted to get a girl's opinion." Elliot said.
"Well you can just ask me." I said.
"No. No. No. No he can't." Steven said.
"I really can't do that..." Elliot said.
"Well okay. If you say so." I said.
What on earth were they talking about?
I looked at 8's face for a moment.
"My head hurts..." I said, before fainting.
...
"Hey ——, you ready?"
"Ready as I'll ever be..." I said.
"Don't worry. We'll be fine. We can take them on."
"What if they hurt me?" I said.
"I'll be there to protect you."
"Octarian promise?" I said.
"Octarian promise"
The boy's face was blurry. I looked harder. It was Elliot.
"Really?" I said.
"Don't worry. As long I'm here, I'll be there for you." Elliot said.
"~~~~••••" I said, but couldn't hear, because it was too muffled.
"•~~~••."
Everything we were saying was muffled.
...
I woke up.
"What?" I said, "what happened."
"I think you're getting back some of your memories." Steven said concerned.
"My head hurts..." I said.
I then saw Elliot. I jumped a little in my mind. We were dating? I looked in surprise. That's why everything felt weird around him. But it also did with Steven. I just must feel that way around boys.
I then realized that I was still lying down. I quickly lifted my head and said, "sorry."
Both boys looked at me with concerned faces.
Then I heard the crack of a door.
"WHAT THE FISH STICKS ARE THE BOYS DOING HERE?!" Tres said. Tres was still in her pjs, a Splatfest shirt with shorts.
"Hey. I have something to ask you." Elliot said.
"What? What is it?" she said.
"I'd rather not say in front of others..." he said.
"Oh um... okay?" she said.
They walked into my and Tres' room and shut the door. Steven and I sat there in silence and he said, "it's really good that your memories are coming back. I could tell that was what was happening."
"Really? I don't really like to think about the time I lived in oppression." I said sadly.
"Think if it's worse for you to not know your past, or to know it."
"I think you're right."
"Did you hear much?"
I blushed. I knew something. But for some reason I didn't want to tell him.
"I'd rather not say." I said.
He scooted closer to me and wrapped his arm around me, "it's fine. You can tell me. You can trust me."
"It's not that I don't trust you. I just~ don't really know if I can."
"Okay then. It's fine." he smiled at me.
"I wonder what they're talking about in there." I said.
"I know what. But I can't really tell you."
"That's fine, I guess I'll just end up figuring out myself."
He smiled at me.
"Would you like some food?" I asked.
"Sure. What do you have?"
"I can make some pancakes."
"You really shouldn't go through all that trouble~"
"Nonsense. Tres will want some anyway."
"Okay if you say so."
I started to get out the cooking materials, and the mix.
"Wow, where did you learn how all this worked." Steven said.
"Some YouTuna videos."
"You have access to YouTuna?"
"Yeah... and?"
"Just~ be careful what you watch."
"Oh okay."
I started making the pancakes and getting out the toppings.
"What would you like?" I asked.
"Just plain. Thanks."
"Okay." I smiled at him.
I finished 5 minutes later, and Tres and Elliot walked out.
"Would you guys like some pancakes?" I asked.
"Well dur." Tres said.
"Yes!" Elliot said.
"What type?" I asked.
"I'll take any." Tres said.
"I don't know. Blueberry?" Elliot said.
"We'll just go with that." I said.
I set down pancakes on plates and motioned for them to sit down at the table. I grabbed a pancake and then sat down next to them.
"Does anyone know what time training is?" Steven asked.
"I thought it was 12:30. But I might be wrong." Tres said.
Everyone ate in silence. I was completely content, but I could tell that there was something wrong with Tres. I would ask her about it later.
"Hey Opal?" Elliot asked.
"Yeah?"
"Do you remember anything from back when we were under control of Octavio?"
"Not much." I said, half lying. The honest truth is that the one moment I remembered gave away most of my past. I can't think of much more important things.
"Uh Opal are you-" Steven said. I passed out again.
...
The squids were moving in on us, attacking some of the homes in Octovillage. We just wanted to get through the day. Octarians were often depressed. They had no real freedom. Only the people who had sworn that they would stand by Octavio would be able to not wear the glasses. They were even oppressed. Life here was better than on the surface I would think. Surface dwellers have to deal with complicated things that they can't handle. We stick to sense. We only do what we do to survive. Not good enough? Well, time to try harder. Be the first ones to take action. A group of squids had attacked us. My 5 year old brain couldn't think for itself. I wasn't scared. I couldn't have emotion. We ran. We didn't cry out in fear. We don't have emotions. My brain had found itself. I ripped off the goggles and started to cry and run. That's when I ran into a girl. She looked confused. I wasn't allowed to take off my glasses. She obviously had special permission. She wasn't wearing her glasses either. She had long red tentacles that went down to her waist. She had piercing white eyes, and her pupils large. She had dark brown skin. She was pretty. She wore the regular octoling outfit and had on an octo clip.
She said, "come with me."
I followed her. I didn't talk. I'd never been able to speak. We didn't speak, only made sounds. I couldn't understand every word though. The glasses sent worded hypnosis orders. She led me through to a hatch in the ground and said, "what's your name?"
I needed to speak, otherwise she'd know that I wasn't supposed to have my glasses off.
"—///" I said my name, but couldn't hear it.
"I'm Gianna."
"Nife to me you." I said garbled.
"You haven't been talking for long, have you?"
I shook my head no.
"It's chaotic up there."
"Ya." I said
She laughed, knowing I couldn't pronounce the e sound.
"Do you want to play a game?" Gianna asked.
I nodded my head yes eagerly.
"Follow me." She said smiling.
I followed her to a flight of stairs. The stairs seemed to last forever. She motioned for me to come closer, as we made our way to a metal door. She typed on an electronic keypad, and then the door made a buzzing sound.
"We're in." she said.
She opened the door.
"Wu." I said, unable to pronounce the other sounds.
"Welcome to the surface." She said, gesturing to the world outside.
I looked in awe, at all of the wildlife and sunshine.
"Come on!" Gianna said eagerly.
We walked over to a bench. We were on top of a tall building, and the bench overlooked a large city.
"This is my little getaway." Gianna said.
"It is incredibibibible." I said struggling, I knew large words, but definitely couldn't say them.
She giggled at my faults and stared at me sincerely, "I've never had someone my age to hang out with." she said.
I smiled at her.
"You ready to play the game?" she asked.
I nodded.
"Okay, we are going to run across these buildings, and I'll show you the rest." she said. Gianna then suddenly ran and jumped off the building. I ran over to the edge to see where she went. She was on the building a little lower beside me.
"Come on!" She said, eager for me to follow.
I took a couple steps backward and took a leap of faith off the building. It was almost like it was in slow motion. The moment I reached the air. It was the first time I'd felt emotion. I smiled widely. I landed on the next building with Gianna. We then kept jumping from building to building. When we were at the lowest building possible, Gianna looked at me and said, "You ready for this?"
"Defininity." I said stuttering.
She giggled and said, "We are going to climb."
...
I woke up on the couch.
"Opal?!" Steven said.
"Opal?!" Tres said, "Are you okay?!"
"Opal..." Elliot said, "wake up..."
They all looked down on me with sincere faces.
I opened my eyes wide and sat up.
"I-I got more memories b-back." I said. I had a memory of 11 years ago. I was surprised. It must have really been important.
"That was a large chunk of memory. You were out for 17 minutes." Tres said with scared eyes.
"You might need to rest today. You're getting a lot of memories." Steven said concerned.
Elliot looked at me. It was an awkward moment.
It just kept happening.
Bam. Got more memories. Wasn't even from different moments. They were all of me and Gianna. I knew all about her. But I was about to learn more.