|La Habana|

|Lotus Cortez|

"What brings you to this beautiful place?" Camilo asked as we entered the restaurant filled with tourists.

A weak smile appeared on my lips "I had a bad break up; it gave me that push to finally give myself time to learn about my hometown."

"You were born here?" he seemed surprised.

"Yes," I nodded as he pulled out a chair for me. "Thank you."

"Why did you ever leave this paradise?"

A soft chuckle left my mouth as I took a seat "My parents were deployed when I was six months old."

"Brave people," he told with a soft smile. "Are they here with you?"

My hands immediately went for the rings in my necklace "They passed in combat," a blush rushed up my face; more than being sad about it, I feel ashamed for making people feel bad.

A frown appeared upon his face "I'm sorry, Lotus."

"It's okay. How could you know?"

A beautiful girl with tanned skin, deep brown eyes, her eyebrows were magnificent and her hair so luscious up in a high ponytail. "Mr. Gauthier," the girl, she can't be over 16, smiled at the man "I've been watching Friends as you told me, it's helping a lot."

"I'm glad," Camilio grinned at the girl, and then his eyes fell on me. "What would you like to drink?"

I cleared my throat before gazing at the menu "A piña colada would be nice."

"Make that two."

"I'll be right back," the girl smiled at both of us before walking away.

"She's my friend's daughter," he said looking my way. "Her name is Beatriz," he said the name in perfect Spanish.

"She's gorgeous," I told. "How old is she?"

"Sixteen next month; they grow up so fast."

I nodded with a soft smile, remembering the last time I hugged Vanya "They do."

"You have kids?"

"No, but my best friend's son is like family to me."

"What's his name?"

"Vanya, he is seven."

"I love little kids," a deep sigh left his mouth. "I can't wait to have one of my own."

"Me neither," memories of Ace and I talking about having children, flooded my mind.

Camilo and I stayed at the restaurant for hours. Day turned into night and we were still talking; he was telling me all about how he transformed his dad's business into what it is now. Apparently he is a big deal on the island and everyone loves him apart from knowing him.

Beatriz came and joined us as soon as her father commenced closing up the restaurant; the girl is beyond smart. She told me about how she wants to become an architect and work with Camilo in France.

"Do you have a place to stay, Lotus?" Camilo asked as we walked out of the restaurant.

I cleared my throat "Temporary—"

"Why don't you stay with me?" He suggested.

A sad smile appeared on my lips "The last time I lived with my boss things didn't end up well," I told.

"Why? Did you fall in love?" He chuckled.

"Yeah," I nodded. "But things just weren't meant to be," my eyes glanced at my wristwatch which is a brand new Apple Watch I decided to get for myself as a break up present. "Fuck, I have to run."