Chapter 43

Angelina

Swallowing my fear, I went ahead and spoke to him. I had to remember not to let the fear grip me and take over. I needed to forget how he got me. Not easy. I was lured into looking into his eyes. Like a lullaby from a childhood memory that calls to you, eases you, calms you. That was what it was like to look into his eyes at first. Then the heat, the wanting. That came after, when he was able to get into my head. As fucked up as it was, at least I could blame something else, rather than deal with the fact that I picked him, that he was a judgement call. A bad bad judgement call. Now to realize that I never really had a say in it at all. I wonder if all of them do this. Am I ever of my own free will? Reading into my thoughts, Antonio whom up until that moment, had forgotten he was even next to me, spoke in my head. I was actually becoming used to it.

"No. He is the only one that is doing this to you. I would be able to see it straight away. We are not all like him Angelina. You are here in this moment of your own free will. I will never do that to you, nor allow anyone else to do that to you."

I just nodded his way instead of speaking. I needed to concentrate, and I needed every ounce of my brain on high alert. When I finally had the courage to look into Dante's eyes, he was wearing his look or curiosity. As though he just picked up on the possibility that Antonio was speaking to me telepathically. He was pondering over it. I would need to be cautious from here on out. While he was thinking that over, it was a perfect opportunity to start my conversation. I needed answers. 

"Can I come in?"

He tilted his head to the side, as if he were a dog trying to concentrate. Probably wondering how and why I was standing there seeking him out, and without Damion.

"Where is your lap dog?"

"If you are referring to Damion, I do not know where he is right now."

He stepped aside and let me in, then immediately blocked Antonio with his arm across the threshold.

"Anuh, not you. You are not welcome"

He gave me a grave look, letting me know without communicating that he was not having that.

"Dante, they will not leave us alone. "

"He can wait out here. I won't hurt you."

"No one believes that, and he wont let me talk to you unless he is here."

He looked over at Antonio, as that sly smirk made its appearance. He laughed, and it was pure evil. 

"You like to watch Antonio? You are more of a freak than I ever gave you credit for. I would ask you to join but she's all mine."

Then he proceeded to slam the door in Antonios face. I knew I was not going to get anywhere.

"Hold on."

I grabbed the door, and went outside into the hall." I know this is dangerous. I am asking you to please give me the opportunity to get some answers from him on my own terms."

"You must know that he will not give you any of the answers that you seek. He wont make it that easy. If anything happens to you..."

"Stay here. I am going to bargain with him."

"Making deals with the devil, will not get you far. Be careful Angelina, please believe me. He cannot ever be trusted."

I turned to Dante. 

"He stays in the hall, the door stays open. He must have eyes on me, or I will have to leave now without having the chance to speak with you. Once Damion gets wind of this he will probably lock me up somewhere."

"I will always find you. And fiiineee. That bastard stays there."

I followed him deeper into the room. It was beautiful, like all of the other rooms inside this castle. There was a sitting area, and he asked me to sit. I was a bundle of nerves because he did not sit. He squatted in front of me. Eyes on me, boring into the depths of my soul. My mind, and even my heart. Damn him. Before I knew it, and against everything I was determined to get done, the tears started to flow. 

"Do not cry, you must be stronger than this. Look at all you have been through already."

"Why, tell me why?"

"You were always just the means to an end darling."

"Will you ever tell me what is going on?"

"I cannot."

He looked away for a moment, and then came back to me. His eyes dark as the night, evil as the shadows. 

"I thought I loved you, and you hurt me. I feel hallow, knowing that it was all a game to you."

"It was all just a game, an illusion. A means to an end like I said. I never meant to fall in love with you. I can't love you. It is against the rules for this game. I let you come to me this time, the next time I see you....I will be trying to kill you. "

For a moment I was stunned. I could not take in all that he was saying. He was telling the truth. It was all a game to him, but yet he loved me? He had to kill me? Lost in my thoughts, I had no idea that his hands were holding my face. He was looking at me with his ice blue eyes, except they were no longer ice. They held love in them. Undenyable, unmistakable love. He brought his lips against mine, a light brush with lips so soft that it actually hurt my heart that I would never kiss them again. He kissed me tenderly, more so than ever before. I almost did not want to stop. I knew this was of my own accord, he was not using his powers. When he pulled away, he still had my face in his hands. His eyes, shedding tears of his own. Something that I never saw him do, something that even now never thought he was capable of. My heart shattered in a million pieces.

"Love, come now, we must go. I hear Damion, he is coming this way."

Antonio spoke softly. He saw everything, and he knew that my heart was shattered. Dante mouthed the words silently, not letting go of my face in his hands. The softest he had ever touched me, and oh, how I wanted more. My heart betrayed me over and over again.

The only thing to tear us apart were Damions snarls as he eyed us, and bolted straight for Dante.