-01- 🌓 I Feel Alive

^ Picture of Kit Dawson

"Tonight, I'm gonna have myself a real good time. I feel alive."
~Queen, 'Don't Stop Me Now'

~~~

*Kit's POV*

"Kit! Where are you?" I heard my mom calling out. I snickered to myself as I hid behind the large tree in our backyard. Crouching down, I tried to make myself as small as possible to avoid being seen. I loved forcing my mom into a game of hide-and-seek.

"Kit!" She shouted again. "Come on out! Theo is here!"

My ears perked up when I heard the name of my best friend. I scurried away from the tree and ran towards the house. A wide grin spread across my face when I saw Theo standing next to my mom.

"Theo!" I squealed, tackling him down in a hug. Theo giggled and wrestled with me. He pinned me to the ground and loomed over me as if to brag about how much stronger he was than me. I laughed as I pushed him off me.

Theo rolled over, pretending I was actually strong enough to force him away. It wasn't really fair. Theo was born an Alpha, so he was naturally stronger than me. I was just an Omega, so I was weaker than a lot of the other kids. That's okay though. If they tried to mess with me, I would still beat them up.

We stood up and brushed the dirt off our clothes. My dad stepped out onto the back patio and stood by my mom. When he pecked her on the lips, Theo and I covered our eyes and pretended to vomit.

"Mom! Dad!" I whined. "Stop it, that's gross!"

My dad chuckled at me. "You won't think it's gross when you're older. You're still young."

"I'm not that young," I pouted.

"You're 8 years old," my dad deadpanned. "When you're older and find your mate, you'll want to kiss them all the time."

I gagged at that. "That sounds gross. Girls have cooties."

My parents exchanged a look that I didn't understand. Theo was still standing next to me with a goofy grin on his face.

"Hey, Kit," Theo said. "My mom said there's a new ice cream place a few blocks over. Want to go check it out?"

I excitedly looked at my parents. "Can we??"

My mom nodded her head. "Just stay together. And don't stay out too long. You need to be home before dark," she warned. I nod my head and excitedly jump around.

"Race ya!" I shouted before taking off. Theo yelped and ran after me. We zoomed across the small town, going as fast as our little legs will carry us. I laughed wildly, racing alongside my best friend.

***

I finish buttoning up my shirt, smiling at the memory that's nearly a decade old. Tomorrow is a very big day, which is putting me in a great mood.

Tomorrow is my 18th birthday.

For werewolves, our 18th birthday marks the day we become full-fledged wolves. We become stronger, faster, and have access to our pack's mind link. Best of all, we're able to find our mates.

I've heard it's instantaneous. Once you've reached the age of 18, your inner wolf alerts you when you've spotted the mate the Moon Goddess has blessed you with. The moment you lay eyes on each other, you feel that connection. Some people find their mate right away, but it takes longer for others.