Chapter 22-Open Your Eyes

Mia's POV
Everyone was gathered at the table in silence. The sound of china clashing was the only thing that was heard. I am no one to make any kind of conversation so I kept my lips sealed.

"So Mr. Cortez..." one of the businessmen opposite from me spoke, breaking the silence.

"Your son-in-law help manages the company." he started off.

Dad shook his head.

"He is the Acting CEO of our business."

He nodded but looked as if he wanted to say more.

"Is there a problem,Mr.Valdrez?" My dad asked.

"No,not at all. I was just taken aback by what you said."

"What's shocking about it?"

He looked at me before answering my dad.

"What's shocking to me is that you chose your son-in-law instead of your daughter to be Acting CEO?"

My dad was not expecting that question. He looked furious.

"I'm sorry Mr.Valdrez but the reason for me choosing my son-in-law is confidential and private" he said.

"How is it private?"

My dad looked at me.

"Its anything but private. It's obvious."

"Mia? Now is not the time to talk about this."

"Mrs. Mia? If I must say you don't owe me an explanation. I was just curious why a father won't seek it fit for his daughter to take over instead of his son-in-law." he said looking at Jack.

"Mr. Valdrez , I understand that you were curious as to how Jack is the Acting CEO and I'm not. Truth is I don't want to be in charge of the company. But please do not address my husband as if he is some outsider. I believe he'll be able to take care of the company as good as my dad does."

He nodded his head.
"Very well. Let's proceed then"

He lifted his wine glass. "To a new beginning!" Everyone joined in, glasses clinging was heard as everyone cheered "To a new beginning!"

~~Next day~~~
I was sitting in my car that was parked up on the side of the narrow road. I needed help regarding my mother's death.

There was only one more person that I know would be able to help me.

Before you know it, another vehicle pulled up in the same road and it could only be one person. The same person that I'm waiting for.

I came out of my car and leaned up against the door, waiting for him to come up to me.

"Mia? What are you doing here?" he asked and I looked at him.

"There is something I need your help with." he nodded.

"Shoot! What's up?" I shook my head.

"My mom's death was planned years ago. She left a diary for me when I had turned 18 but I didn't find it until a few days ago when I went in the basement of the house"

His eyebrows scrunched.

"How did it end up there?"

"My mom had started building that house when she was pregnant with me. She wanted me to live in that house when I got married." i said the last part in more of whisper.

He nodded.

"What makes you think you'll be able to find the person whose responsible for your mother's death?"