Chapter 4 - Am i hard to trust?

Mia's POV
My hand was on my mouth and my lips parted slightly. I stumbled back a little as I felt myself freeze and I didn't have no control over my own body. His expression was not angry but a look that I couldn't fathom. A mix of hurt and revenge was plastered on his face. Bruised,battered and damaged. His lips were swollen and blood stains on his shirt. Blood leaked from his forehead and on his bottom lip. His expression read the word helplessness.

“Jack how did you....get hurt?” I said pausing in between my words. He looked down as his eyes made contact with the floor as if he was trying to come up with a believable answer.

“Jack” I pressed on as I was getting impatient.

“Nothing happened Mia” he said with no emotion laced in his words or his voice.

“How can you say nothing happened? You are covered in blood Jack!” I exclaimed loudly. I knew for a fact something had happened. I wanted to say that I know everything but I knew I couldn't. He would get even more furious with me. At this point I didn't care if he lashed out on me or attack me of any sort. But I wanted answers to my questions and i will get them,no matter what lengths I have to go to reach them. My face was probably as red as a tomato and i hate tomatoes. It wasn't the type of red where I would be blushing. I mean why would I? At this point?. It was the angry red and trust me it's darker than the other type of red. My hands were balled up into fists and my feet couldn't stay in one place. I blinked my eyes more than twice the times I usually would. I am a spoilt rich girl and I'm proud of it so don't judge me. I always get what I want even when I know it can lead the way to my destruction. His dark brown eyes were staring at me intently and his jaw tightened ever second. My heart started to beat faster and i was afraid that it will pop out of my chest in the time span of two minutes.

“I already told you it's none of your business!” he yelled at me making me jump. This time with more anger and frustration that was left in him. I knew he was using me as a way to take out whatever it is that happened to him and i was not going to let him run me over again.

“Jack it's all of my business!I am your wife weather I like it or not I deserve to know” I protested against him this time looking at him straight in the face with more courage that I ever had in my entire life. His expression on his face meant that he was shocked at my sudden outburst and courage that I had gathered against him.

“You better keep that tongue of yours in check princess because if you don't I'll see that you do in the future” he shouted. My expression fell. Was he threatening me? If so I am not falling for it.

“What would you do Jack? Hit me a few times,throw me across the room? Honesty you could do what you want but I am not going to stop asking. Just give me a simple answer and I'll leave you alone!” I exclaimed all in one quick breath. My head held high,staring at every feature on his face and for once in my terrible life,i felt good about myself. His face was unreadable and his eyes read the word pity. But why have pity on me when because of him my life was ruined.

“I pity you Mia Cortez” he replied coldly for what reason. You tell me.

“Excuse me?Because of you my name is now Mia Rose Cortez Houston!” his eyes went wide and i swear i saw a burning flame in them. He started to walk closer towards me and I went backwards instead. I did not want a part two of what happened earlier today for no good reason.

“STOP!”i exclaimed on the top of my voice. He stopped moving. I was indeed surprised that he did.

“Just tell me Jack please.Thats all I am asking for. Once can you just let me be there for you” I beg mostly because with his answer I would be able to figure out the secret he was able to hide from me for the past two and a half years we were together as a married couple. Secondly I cared for him and the least I could do was to try and be there for me the way a wife would and i had to convince to know that it was alright to confide in someone. His eyes were lowered now and his closed hands were open, swaying at his sides.  My body felt relieved as I felt myself loosened a bit.

“I was attacked” he spoke softly for the first time that I have ever heard him speak. I didn't say anything instead waited for him to continue.

“Me and a few friends were out and a few guys that we've had previous conversations with before came up to us and we exchanged a few words and i got one of the guys mad and they attacked me and the rest of the guys.” he spoke in such a way that if I was obvious to the fact that he is involved in a gang then I would have surely believed that. As much as I wanted to scoff at that explanation, I couldn't. Not just yet anyways.

“Thank you for telling me Jack. It means a lot to know that you were able to tell me” I said truthfully. He just nodded. His attitude towards this particular topic was nonchalant.

“Is there anything else?” I questioned him once more. He raised a brow before answering

“No there is nothing else that should concern you.....Rose.” he answered with a smirk attached to his face and i felt my blood boil.

“Don't even start!” I warned him and he just chuckled before he entered the bathroom and shut the door. I shook my head before I exited the bedroom and proceeded back to my brownies . Reaching towards the dining table where I remembered leaving the nutritious, mouthwatering brownies that I had halfway eaten. Surprised that the brownies were still there I took a large bite of the brownie. Bite by bite I finished all the brownies that were on the glass plate. This time is approximately 10pm and i normally go to bed around this time. Deciding on organising dinner for Jack since he probably never ate. Before I could even blink, there was a plate of food that was already taken out and my eyebrow perked up in surprise. Linda must have taken it out I thought to myself before picking up the food alongside a bottle of water. Resting it on the table and covering it, I went upstairs to call Jack for his dinner time. Opening the door without knocking, I saw Jack sprawled out on the bed wide awake. Staring at the ceiling, he looked as if he was in a daze.

“Jack” I called out to him. He looked at me and sat up against the bed rest behind him.

“Dinner is downstairs” I told him him before turning around. While walking back towards the door I heard him mumbled “I'm not hungry” I turned and looked at him. Playing dumb I questioned him

“What was that?” I asked him. He looked up.

“Uh nothing I said I'll be there in five”. I smiled “good”.
I closed the door and made my way into the narrow hallway that lead to an empty room. I smiled to myself.  This room has been mainly used by me for the past two and half year of spending time here and I have learned to have my own personal space at times. Most times when I cannot sleep, I usually come here no matter what late hours of the night or the early hours of the morning. Even when the sun is rising, I always find peace here. Maybe because of the view or maybe because of the tranquility that often surrounds this atmosphere when everyone is asleep. The time and place is always right. I come here when I need time to think or just quietness for even a moment. No one knows about this room in the house besides me. Jack is usually out of the house and Linda mostly spend her time dusting shelves and washing the dishes although they aren't many, she knows how to occupy herself throughout the day.My daily routine every day is nearly repeating of the same life cycle. Opening the door quietly,i walked in and locked it before making my way towards the giant glass that separates me from the wildlife and inside the the house. It is truly beautiful I must admit. The starry sky, the jet black surrounding the stars as they brighten up the sky. The trees blew in tune with the wind and i felt myself smiling wildly enjoying the feeling although it will not last. I don't always come here just for peace and quiet. The room is as wide as a Savannah field but a little bit smaller. At the end of the room on the left side occupied two loveseats and a small glass table in the middle. I also have a refrigerator put into the room without anyone knowing. Of course it had air condition in the room. But the room was very spacious and simple. In fact I come her every day. When I say I do 'household chores' you know what I mean now. I am not an easy person to get to but I am considerate in fact I can be nice but if situations permit me I can be a 20 year old woman who doesn't know what she can be doing when her inner beast unleashes. There is no turning back from that. But there is one thing I love to do. Besides eating chocolate, fantasizing about books and watching alot of television there is one more thing I enjoy doing in my spare time. As my hands passed against the curtain that was on the window on my right side, my mind drifted on to Jack. Was he ever going to tell me about his secret? Was he ever going to let me be his friend? But one thing pushed all those questions away from my mind and there was one that lurked in the back of my head since day one.

“Who was Justin Bieber to him?”