Chapter Eighteen

Things were looking up for Kaea and her little family. Trey moved in a few months after their encounter to help around with Darius and Kaea couldn't have been happier. Darius was welcomed to a loving environment and everyone pitched in to help about. Sefa enjoyed having a "mini" him around but truthfully, Darius gave Sefa and all the boys a new purpose. They began rethinking their lives and making permanent choices instead of temporary fixes.

Elijah's 3rd birthday came around too soon and Roman had organised a get together on his holiday home in Newcastle.  Kaea and the girls had decorated the house with balloons, streamers and lanterns everywhere. The Wiggle's theme was strong as April stubbornly made all the boys follow suit and dress as one of the Wiggles. By now, little Darius was crawling and made his way through the most complicated secret hiding spots. 

Elijah's mom was long gone yet Roman was blessed that he had two aunties that never failed to love Elijah like their own. Roman kept his mom a mystery, his own high school sweetheart who left the pair and continued to live her life while Roman raised his son alone the moment Elijah was born. But everyone's love for Elijah compensated for the love he lacked from his own mother, yet Elijah did not spend one moment in his life thinking he wasn't loved.

The backyard connected to the beach which made the sand the perfect place to end the night. Some of Elijah's daycare friends drove out to celebrate the special day. Once all the friends had gone home it was just the family left to enjoy the view of the ocean.  Everyone had their own deck chair laid out with paper lanterns lit up to compliment the scene. April and Kaea cleaned the house while the two little boys watched The Croods on the projector. 

"I remember the day he was born like it was yesterday. It was my Year 10 formal night and Jason and Roger picked me up mid-way. I was in the waiting room with my heels and a face full of makeup" April laughed putting away the last glass cup that she had dried and watched Elijah rock Darius in his rocking seat. Elijah enjoyed having a little brother and Darius grew very fond of Elijah.

"You guys okay?" Roger walked inside and joined the two girls in the kitchen.

April nodded answering his question. Kaea took it upon herself to exit the kitchen. You know those people who are destined to be together? That was April and Roger and it seemed that everyone knew it but them two. It was slowly happening though, and everyone could feel it too. They probably just needed a little push or nudge to help them out.

Kaea plopped down on the couch between Elijah and Darius and joined them with laughs over the antics happening on the screen. Soon after Kaea could feel drool drip on her thigh and saw Elijah sleeping peacefully. She chuckled lifting Elijah up and into his bedroom, tucking him in lightly. Darius was next and took his place inside the little cot inside Kaea's room that Roman bought. Both boys sleeping peacefully gave Kaea free time for the first time in her day.

She took her seat back on the couch to continue watching the remainder of the movie. But her eyelids began feeling heavy and soon made her fall asleep.

"Sis. Sis wake up" Kaea was shaken awake by April.

"Is everything okay?" She quickly shot up to see if something had happened.

"Come outside with us" she ushered Kaea slowly out the back door, much to her dismay. The beach was beautiful at this time of night. The wind showed mercy and let its small breeze sweep across the sands from time to time. The music blasting from the speaker created a better atmosphere. The boys smiled welcoming Kaea as she held a firm grip on the bottle of orange juice in her hand. Drinking wasn't on her list of things to do and especially with her son only metres away. But everyone knew she didn't need alcohol to have a good time and enjoy the night.