Chapter two

Monique and Kaea were watching the clock like hawks, waiting for the bell too ring. Thursday afternoons weren't their favourite. They had visual arts, and as much as Kaea loved to draw, there teacher was 50 something, divorcee who spends the rest of her life turning her anger into art. She would often spend every lesson telling the class a new story of one of her seven husbands'. 

"Your the only reason why I haven't dropped this class" Monique whispered, rolling her eyes. Kaea kept her head in her book and continued to draw.

The bell finally rang and the class rushed out the door like running mice. Monique smiled seeing that the hell called school was finally over and she could go back to her normal life.

"Kaea, can you come with me after school? I need to drop something off to my cousin" Monique asked her

"I don't mind. We going far?"

"Nah, 10 minute train ride" Monique smiled and grabbed Kaea's hand.

Monique was one of her favourite people in the world. She understood her, and was basically her other half. She was also Kaea's next door neighbour. Her family is very nice as well, they were Tongans and always invited me over for BBQ's but of course I would always decline. I didn't want to be rude but it just isn't my scene. Kaea's idea of a perfect night would be to fall asleep to her favourite book with r&b hits playing in the background .... or maybe a movie night, with back to back movies, popcorn and chocolate. She wasn't a party girl.

They waited at the station for about eight minutes before Monique's cousin finally showed up. As usual, Kaea stayed quiet and behind her.

But something was definitely different about this cousin. He must have been almost a foot taller than her & Monique, a strong build, clean shave and hair cut short,  but his eyes were bloodshot red, you could barely see his dark brown almost black eyes. He was definitely someone that people feared tho. You could just sense it by looking at him.

"Did you bring it?" He said to her in a deep masculine voice. I tried my best to ignore their conversation tho. 

"Fk no you bloody idiot. Trey, I came to tell you that your out of your mind now. top"

"F'n hell. Could've yelled at me over the phone. I have places to be, get home safe" He turned around and started walking.

Monique turned back to me.

"Sorry, I didn't want to meet him alone" She hugged me.

"Would he have hit you?"

"No, my cousin isn't like that. It's just, I'm trying to get him to pull his life together, he graduates this year and has nothing in mind for the future"

"He seems interesting"

"K, don't go there. I'm warning you now"

"Mon puhhleaaaaze, he ain't even my type. My life is too busy for one anyways. All I need is the lord" I smiled

"Don't play the church girl on me. Usi you don't even have a type, some of us could've thought you were les.  Remember, we are the same age and I know what may be going through your mind, woman. And maybe it's good you get one, you could turn out like those crazy cat ladies" She smiled as we walked to our platform.

But those crazy cat ladies are cool, Kaea thought to herself

***

Kaea mentally and physically shook off the thought of Moniques cousin. Thats all he would be to her, 'Moniques cousin'. Nothing else. No name needed.   She was aware of what boys like him wanted. Nothing serious, and Kaea wanted something serious. But of course when she had the time and found the right guy. Rushing into situations wasn't her style.

****

Kaea heard her front door open and close. Instantly she jumped up to see who the visitor was.

"Sefa!?" without wasting anytime, Kaea ran upto him and gave him a bear hug.

"Kaea, what's with all the yellin- Sefa?" Kaea's mum walked out of her study to see what was happening and smiled as she walked to hug him. 

"Hi mum" Sefa kissed her on the cheek.

"This is the first time you've visited us in months. Where have you been?"

"Out and about. Jermaines in hospital ... Took a hit really bad. But then again the toko could never really take a hit lol. He'll pull through though. Genesis & Revelation are doing good . I got them to focus more on school instead of partying like you said.

"Oh, maybe I'll go visit him on Tuesday, That's good to hear, tho. I'm proud of the twins. But honestly, how are you? Seems like i've missed out on a lot."

"You hungry?"

"Aw sweet, that's us" Kaea smiled

"Mum would you like to join?" Sefa looked over to mum. She did raise Sefa since his parents' weren't the greatest. His mother was a drug addict and his father died when he was a kid. Home wasn't a safe place for him so he would always come and stay with Kaea and mum. He was her brother and best friend.

"It's ok. I'm due back in the office soon anyways. You kids have fun" She smiled and walked back into her study. 

They both smiled and gapped it out of the house and to the train station. By the time they got to Westpoint, it was already one o'clock. The two teens power-walked it to the food court, wasting no time and Sefa went to go order their food. 

Sefa came back with their food and they started eating. 

"So what happened to Jermaine?" 

"They hit him when he was by alone, aha bastards could never really have a one outs anyways, always having a 5 on 1 or something. But we'll get them back. He's got a broke leg, nothing serious. How've you been?" 

"Schools' going good. Dance is good. Netballs' good. Lifes good."

"And your boyfriend?"

"lol none so shut up. Living the single life, Joseph (Sefa in english) . And hows Litia?"

She looked up and saw that he wasn't looking at her. His eyes were focused on a group of boys on the other side of the food court. He held an intense staring competition with one of the boys, whom Kaea soon recognised as Monique's cousin. Oh, this mustn't be good.

"You know him?" Kaea regained his attention.

"Something like that. Why?"

"That's Mons cousin"

"We should go, wouldn't want to start any unwanted drama." 

"You guys have beef?"

"I'd prefer you not get involved. Let's go"

"Aw Sefa's on serious mode now, watta buzz kill. Come, let's go to the arcade first. I'll beat your ass in that shooting game" She smiled trying to get him to calm down. And of course it worked. They cleared out our table then made their way upstairs to the arcade.

*****

Walking back home from training was Kaeas favourite part of the day. She could finally have some peace and quiet and relax her body. Even though they trained the girls like lab rats, she did have love for her team and wouldn't trade it for the world.  Scrolling through her facebook, there was a new friend request.

Treymaine Afu

Kaea's thumb clicked on the profile picture, this was Monique's cousin from this afternoon and earlier. She thought about declining for a good two minutes, due to what Sefa had told her but then forgetting about it and accepting. Sefa wouldn't mind them being facebook friends.

 It's not like Shes accepting a marriage proposal or deporting myself back to the motherland.  What harm could this one boy do to my life right? - Kaeas thought to herself

Well boy was Kaea wrong

****