Trip to the Gynae

"Are you excited?" I whisper.

We made an appointment to the gynaecologist today. Ed looks pretty hyped up, actually.

"Yes." Ed rolls his eyes. "Aren't you?"

"Yea, but I don't look like I'm high on drugs," I shoot back. "Not like someone."

"Chloe Manson?" the receptionist calls out.

"Here!" I call out and shuffle down the corridors towards a room. I knock carefully and enter the room.

There's a friendly-looking woman sitting at the desk. Thank goodness it isn't a man. Seriously, I would never ever give birth while knowing that a man's looking at my ass.

"Hello! I'm Genova, your gynaecologist." She smiles brightly. "I understand that you are a few months pregnant along the way. Any morning sickness?"

"Yes," I admit. "Terrible morning sickness. Especially when I eat anything sugary."

To be honest, I feel cheated out. I can't eat any sugary food like donuts. What justice is this?

"That's a good thing actually." Genova smiles. "Sugary food is unhealthy for the baby. I'm going to do an ultrasound for you right now. Can you lie down on this seat for a moment?"

Feeling a little nervous but encouraged by Ed's smiles, I carefully lie down on this "recliner chair" thing. I feel a little vulnerable and exposed. What if Genova turns out to be a serial murderer pretending to be a gynae?

Okay, chill Chloe.

Genova lifts up my shirt and smears some gelly-like thing on my stomach before placing this funny scanner thing on it. I'm a little excited. I'm finally going to see my baby!

A grainy-looking image appears on the machine and I stare at it puzzledly.

"Is..that....our baby?" Ed asks uncertainly.

"I assume this is your first child?" Genova asks, with her eyes focused on the screen. "The baby's still developing but here, you can see his hands and his face."

I catch sight of the face and my heart leaps up. I feel love swelling up inside me and I can tell Ed feels the same way too. He has been grinning with a goofy look plastered on the face ever since we got engaged.

"Is it a boy or a girl?" Ed asks.

"Would you prefer to keep it a surprise?" Genova smiles. "Some couples do that so that they can share the magical moment."

Ed looks at me expectantly. I can tell what he's thinking so I reply, "Sorry, Genova, but we've had enough surprises for our lifetime." I think of Hannah and my throat constricts.

"Sure thing," Genova replies smoothly. She squints at the picture. "Congratulations, your baby's a little girl."

"Did you hear that Ed?" I say excitedly. "It's a girl!"

"I hope she resembles you," Ed whispers.

"No!" I retort. "She should resemble you. You're more hunky."

Genova smiles at us. (Geez, does this woman ever not stop smiling?)

"Now, I need to tell you some dietary requirements..." she continued.

But I'm not listening. I'm just staring at the screen and smiling like a mad woman.

I've a daughter! I've a daughter!

***********

Ed has to dash off to the office and I've to go meet Adrian and Mum to buy some baby things.

Yes, Adrian and Mum is a disastrous combination. They actually drive each other nuts. I'm actually kind of glad they never got together.

"Hello Adrian," Mum greets him with a bitter voice.

"Hello." Adrian nods.

There's an awkward silence before I cut in brightly, "Let's go shopping right now!"

Mum stares at me as if I'm an idiot but I usher them quickly into some baby clothing shop. With little toddlers running around and bright, happy music, Mum cheers up immediately.

"Oh, look! Baby's clothing on discount!" she shouts loudly, attracting several stares but I merely shake my head.

"Chloe." Adrian frowns. "Wouldn't it be better to buy my grand-daughter...clothes of better material?"

Okay, it's obvious Adrian shops only at Christian Dior or something but seriously, why bother buying expensive baby clothes that's going to last a few months only?

Hearing his comment, Mum shoots him a death glare. "Don't be such a snob."

"I only meant Chloe well." Adrian sticks his hands into his pockets. He looks slightly out-of-place in this shop full of mothers and children.

"Have you raised a child?" Mum raises her voice. "Have you? You left me for that fucking bitch when Chloe's young. And you've the nerve to interfere with our lives now?"

Everyone stops to look at her, even the shop assistants.

"Oh dear, not any falling out," someone whispers.

"I think that's the mistress." Someone points at me.

Shocked, I shake my head and hurriedly say, "'No! I'm his daughter. I'm her daughter too." I pointed to both Adrian and Mum who's still at loggerheads.

"You told me you would forgive me for leaving you and marrying Eleanor!" Adrian says defensively.

"Only if you stop being an annoying humbug!"

"Shut up!" I shout. Adrian and Mum turn to face me, both stunned. "Can you guys time out for one second?"

"Sorry Chloe," Mum says sheepishly. Suddenly realising that everyone's looking at us, she shoos them away. "Go away! We're not filming a movie!"

Everyone disperses and I dart both of my parents a death glare, something I learnt from Mum.

"Sorry, Chloe." Adrian shakes his head. "Your mother was acting in a really immature way."

"Immature? Immature?" Mum shouts again.

I roll my eyes. Here we go again.