Tough Night

"Where the fuck are we going?" Ed demands as Hannah slips into the driver's seat while Jack sits at the back along with us, still pointing the gun in our direction.

"Shut up." Hannah starts up the engine and the van starts to move.

"Ed," I murmur. "Are we going to die?"

"No, we're not going to," Ed says fiercely.

"How optimistic you are," Hannah retorts coldly. She stares straight ahead and I notice that her knuckles are turning white.

Ed ignores her but instead, pulls me closer to him. I try to ignore the gun's presence but I can't help but imagine the bullet piercing through my skin. No, please no.

"How's Mother?" Jack asks quietly. His hands seem to be trembling. I'm half-afraid he would accidentally pull the trigger and hit Ed or me.

Ed stiffens. "Why do you care?"

"I don't," he says coldly but I detect a slight tinge of sadness.

"She hasn't been eating well," Ed admits. "Lately, she has been crying herself to sleep. If you had any last shreds of conscience left, you will let us go and come back with me to see her."

I frown. Why hadn't Ed told me all these? And then, I remember. We were engaged in a cold war for a few days.

Jack's lips tremble slightly and I notice his eyelids are closed, as if he's trying to control himself from breaking down. I no longer see a confident, flirty plastic surgeon in him. I only see a scared, depressed man who has regretted his actions.

Ed glances at me. "My mother's sorry for her actions, Chloe. She was planning to apologise to you formally."

"Oh really?" I say, more sharply than I had intended.

"Yes. Until this happened," he say, gesturing with his hands. "Will you forgive her?"

"No."

"Come on."

"My mother isn't a bad woman," Jack interrupts us with a sad smile.

"Shut up. You're the one person here who's least fit to give me advice," I snap and he flinches.

"Jack darling, ignore that witch," Hannah drawls lazily.

Jack lowers his head and Ed rolls his eyes. I don't know how Ed can remain so calm while I'm practically trembling over here.

"There's something I need to tell you about my mother," Ed says slowly. "Since we're going to be together, there's no reason for any secrets."

I notice Hannah glancing at us interestedly but I ignore her. I highly doubt any of us are getting out alive so what's the point of worrying about eavesdropping?

"What?"

"She has been admitted to the psychiatric ward once."

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

"What on earth...?" I begin but Ed shushes me. "She has been clinically depressed for the past decade after my real father passed away. Adrian was the one who healed her broken shell."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I can tell that you still have resentment towards my mother for stealing your dad away but they were truly in love," Ed says softly. "It's the same. If Hannah and I had been married, I would still have left her for you."

The moment, Ed says this, I hear Hannah draw in her breath sharply. She releases a low hiss but as usual, no one pays any attention to her.

"But she's a bitch, Ed," I say urgently. "I hate her! I don't get why she's so mean!"