Promotion

The point about going on blind dates is so that you don't ever see the guy again in your life. Na-dah. But does life go the way you want? Of course not. This is how I eventually end up in such a weird and completely twisted situation so much that I'm thinking I'm probably hallucinating.

It's not possible that Ed Hardy's my boss. Right? I mean, such coincidences don't happen in real life. I mean, Ed Hardy should have stayed as....just the guy from the blind date. Not turn into the-guy-who-controls-my-paycheck.

No, just no.

"Chloe dear? Are you in there? The section head is briefing all of us right now," Zoe calls from outside. "You're going to be in big trouble darling if you don't get your butt out here within 2 minutes."

I'm the only idiotic one hiding in the cubicle right now but I can't show my face out there. I scolded and rejected my OWN boss on our blind date. MY SUPERIOR. Can you imagine anything more humiliating than that?

The answer is obviously NO.

"Erm, Chloe, no offence dear, but if you don't get the shit out there, Derek's going to kick your ass," Zoe shouts.

"Fine, fine, I'm coming ok?"

I emerge out of the cubicle looking slightly hazzled and PMS-y. Zoe takes a step back as she examines my flushed cheeks.

"What happened to you out there? Too stunned by the hottie boss?" Zoe grins as she fans herself in an elaborate gesture. "I'm totally swooned by his handsome features. Do you think he'll go for me?"

"Yea,maybe." I wash my face with some water to wake myself up.

Okay, warrior Chloe, time to go face the world.

***

"What on earth happened back there?" Derek's unmistakable loud voice booms the moment I step into the office. "I told everyone to get the fuck out of the aisle but did anyone listen? Did you?"

"Sorry," I murmur, trying to make myself seem as small as possible. Derek ignores me as he takes out his Blackberry and attempts to look important.

"Ok, so today I'm here to brief you on the company's restructuring program," he begins.

Restructuring? My head bobs up immediately. Isn't that a code-red word for laying off workers? Murmurs are already rising amongst the employees. Looks like I'm not the only person worried about eating cup noodles for the next gazillion months.

"Shit. I just bought a new Mercedes and busted my credit card. Can't afford any shit going on now," Zoe grunts.

A Mercedes? Since when did Zoe have enough money to buy a Mercedes? I can't even afford public transport.

"Please keep quiet, ladies and gentlemen," Derek snaps but he looks pleased to be able to command everyone's attention. "Our new boss, Mr Hardy, has decided transfer some people into the main team to work directly under him and a range of people have been selected from the most junior positions to the senior-ranked people. It's entirely based on the person's capability and credibility. Not like how Raymond used to operate."

It sounds strange to hear Derek denounce Raymond so easily. Derek used to be his lackey but then again, he has always been a two-sided person.

"I'm going to list the people being transferred. Firstly, Amanda Hoyen from human resources..."

"Man, what I wouldn't give to work under that sexy dude," Marilyn murmurs.

Whatever. I don't expect to be promoted nor do I want to. Seeing Ed Hardy is stressful enough. Working under him? It's enough to give me a coronary. Besides, nobody ever notices me anyway. Derek barely knows my last name.

"........Marilyn Gant...." Raymond continues.

"Yes!" Marilyn held up a "V" sign while Zoe groans, "She always gets all the eye candy."

"Cathy Yonda....."

Standing further away, Cathy sighs. I can hear her all the way here murmuring, "Now I've to take on so much workload..."

 "And finally, Harry Vincent."

I sigh with relief.

At that moment, a flustered-looking man came running up to Derek. I recognise him as the blonde assistant of Ed Hardy. Blonde dude hands Derek a piece of paper and he narrows his eyes at it.

Almost disbelievingly, he adds, "I apparently missed out one name here. Our latest addition to the HQ will be Chloe Manson." Derek shakes his head and glares at me, as if it's my fault.

My mouth opens with disbelief. NO. NO. NO.

"Hey, chupchup, we're together. Let's see who gets hottie boss first." Marilyn winks.

I groan. Looks like my day just got worse.