The Ultimatum

"Chloe! Please, stop walking all over the hospital!" Evelyn screams.

I trudge on, looking like a lunatic with my pale green hospital outfit. Some patients turn to look at me and I notice one old man giving me the middle finger. Yea, whatever.

Ever since my doctor gave his approval for me to get out of bed, I've been making the most out of this opportunity. I simply cannot be stuck in that drat bed and doing nothing but stare out of the window. There's not much nice scenery anyway. All I see are people outside secretly puffing on cigarettes. Mum, and my colleagues, Marilyn and Zoe have taken turns to baby-sit me and ensure that I won't stab myself simply because of the shocking news regarding my parentage. It's Evelyn's turn and she looks slightly frazzled.

I still haven't gotten over the fact that my future-father-in-law has turned out to be my father. Even if Ed isn't my actualy blood sibling, I just CANNOT get over that freaking fact.

"Chloe! Come on! Can you walk slightly slower?" Evelyn shouts.

I slow down slightly, but only because Evelyn's pregnant and I don't want to freak her out. At 6 months, her bump has grown larger and she has started to waddle instead of walking.

"Can't you just go sit in the hospital cafe and chill?" I grunt, pushing open the doors and emerging into a new corridor that says, "Maternity". Great, I love looking at crying babies. Sense the sarcasm here."

I hear Evelyn's footsteps slow down and I turn. She's looking into one of those rooms housing the babies and she holds up her hand and waves at the babies.

"Look here, little boy," she coos.

I walk back to join her. "You look like the ultimate pedo," I say but I can't help shifting my eyes to the rows of babies. They all look like little angels, cocooned in their world and for a minute, I feel a rush of desire in me to have a baby with Ed.

"Don't they make you want to have babies?" Evelyn hints.

I grunt vaguely, tearing my eyes away from the little kids. "Whatever," I say and move away.

Ed and I have been on slightly tense terms. It isn't his fault that his mother lied but he's pretty much in shock. After all, he respected his step-father a lot since he was the one to bring him up but he couldn't face the fact that his step-father, Adrian Manson, had abandoned me to have a long-term rendezvous with his mum.

I would be lying if I had said that I don't mind. I do. All these years, I do blame the invisible 3rd party for stealing my father but the truth is, I've pretty much survived with my slightly deranged but cool mother. I don't blame Mum for hiding the truth for me. It's not as if she expected my father's family to suddenly show up and for his step-son to be my boyfriend.

I stop at a wooden door and frown. Right on the door hung a plaque that read, "Hannah Jupiter, Gynaecologist." I gape at the sign. So this is the woman's office.

Evelyn rush up next to me. "What's wrong?" She peers at the sign and gasps as well. "Isn't this Miss-Bitchy's office?"

"Shh, stop calling her that name," I say. "Ed was the one who dumped her and her baby."

"Miss-Bitchy's just sore because Ed didn't like her," Evelyn says defiantly, grabs the doorknob and flings it open.

I grab her wrist. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" I hiss. "We're intruding on other people's privacy."

"Don't you want to check out your enemy?" Evelyn asks and steps into the room.

I can't help but follow her. I'm just an ultimate nosey person.