Dinner Date

"Bye, Chloe," Marilyn calls as she jumps into the red jeep. I can see her latest fling in the window. He grabbed her and they start kissing each other passionately. I turn my head away, unsure if I want to see Marilyn's heavy make-out session 1st-hand.

"See ya tomorrow," Zoe shouts as her Mercedes disappears into the night.

I sigh and look around the empty lobby. Everyone has gone around already and I'm left here on my own to take public transport. No offence to New York's transport system but I'm just sick of waiting for the metro. I want a boyfriend to drive me home and kiss me goodnight. Is that too much to ask?

Slightly deflated, I start to trudge towards the metro, feeling depressed and unhappy. Gosh. I'm just so irritated and horny tonight. What I want is to have wild passionate sex all night long so that I can feel fully satisfied to go to work. I suppose I can go to the bar and hook up with someone but I definitely do not want to repeat the same scenario again.

The last time I went home with a guy, we were on the verge of ripping each other's clothes off when he suddenly whispered, "I'm actually a girl." I was so shocked. It turned out that he, no- she, was a bisexual who liked to cross-dress. Okay, I've nothing against bisexuals or cross-dressers but the last time I checked, I was still a normal craving-for-man type of woman. You never know what kind of people you pick up at a bar.

"Chloe?"

I look up to find a black Aston Martin parked at the curb of the pavement. Woah. You don't see many Aston Martins around here. I wonder if some guy had seen me at the deli and found that I was cute and somehow tracked me down here. I quickly look towards the driver's wheel.

Shit.

It's Ed.

My hot-guy-from-the-deli fantasy ruined, I manage a half-hearted wave. He got out of the car and he stares at me. I don't get it. Why does he like staring at me so much? It makes any normal girl self-conscious. Okay, fine, I'm not...so normal but I can practically feel the heat from his intense gaze. It wouldn't surprise me if I start to sizzle.

"You going home?" he asks unusually gently.

"Yes but that's none of your business," I shoot back.

He might have been a stalker in his past-life. What kind of a guy parks his car and waits for a girl who's neither a friend nor his girlfriend? Someone strange, that's what. Doesn't he have things to do? I mean, I've a lot of things to do like....like... Fine, I might be quite free but I've other stuff to do like take a good long bath when I get home and stop thinking about someone. Since he's a boss, shouldn't he be going home to sort out paperwork and STOP harassing a poor innocent girl like me?

I think someone should tell me that. Just not...me.

"Want me to give you a ride?"

I glance at his ridiculously expensive car. I'm half-tempted to just put down my pride and get into the damn car with him. It's been so long since someone fetched me from work.

Think, Chloe. Think.

"No," I grit through my teeth. "I can take the metro myself."

Resist. Resist. Resist.

"Are you sure?" He quirks up his eyebrows. "The metro's down tonight."

"Down? What do you mean down?"

"It broke down."

"How do you know?" Maybe he's trying to trick me. I never knew he's the sly sort.

"Google."

"The metro never breaks down! Never! " I say, slightly hysterically. It's basically my lifeline. How am I going to go home at this rate?