Delay

"Young lady, you get out of this house this instant," a shrill, feminine voice sounds out.

For the past few hours, I've been reading this book called "You and Your Baby" and it's kind of useful. It tells me what to eat and what not to do. The entire thing's really cheesy and corny and to be honest, I'm not really impressed with the pictures of smiling mothers. Those are seriously deceiving. I feel like puking every half an hour and it's not a pretty sight.

And now, Mum's outside of the door and I'm panicking because I CANNOT handle her being here. I will just..go berserk or something.

"If you don't open up now, I'm going to call Ed and tell him that you just fainted," Mum growls in a threatening tone.

I wince. Shit. Ed would freak out and go haywire. "Fine! Fine!" I shout and thrust open the door.

I glare at her. Mum glares back. "You're in trouble young woman," she shouts. "You've not returned any of my calls for the past few days."

"Nothing much happened," I mutter under my breath.

"You got assaulted and held at gunpoint by a psycho ex-girlfriend of Ed," Mum shouts. "You're utterly irresponsible! Why on earth do I have such a daughter?" She slaps her forehead with her hand and sighs in a melo-dramatic way.

I sigh, shuffle my way towards the living room and flop back against the couch. "Geez, Mum, I'm fine now okay?"

Suddenly, Mum's bright eyes zero in on the "You and Your Baby" book on the coffee table. She gasps and her eyes flick towards my stomach.

"You. Are. Pregnant," she accuses in a haughty voice.

"Er..." I dart my eyes to the right and left. Nope, there's no escape route unless I climb out of the window like Spiderman which obviously I'm not.

"Yea, kinda," I admit reluctantly.

"KINDA? KINDA?" Mum roars in a completely un-ladylike tone. "HAS ED PROPOSED? HAS HE?"

"Chill Mum," I laugh. "Things take time to happen."

Mum comes over to me and shakes me violently by the shoulder. "Chloe Manson. Don't you dare become like me," she growls. "If Ed doesn't marry you, I'm going to string him up and slaughter him into sausages."

"Obviously he's going to marry me." I roll my eyes.

"Well? Has he mentioned any wedding?" Mum demands.

"Obviously y-" I say and stop.

Come to think of it, ever since the Hannah incident, he hasn't mentioned anything about it. When I tried asking him yesterday, he dodged around the topic as if it was taboo. Had I scared him off? Was he offended because I rejected him the first time?

I know, I know. I said that I wasn't ready. But after the Hannah incident, I've realised that I can't do without Ed. And with Eleanor much nicer and willing to budge now, I'm willing to try and co-exist with her.

"Well?" There's a glint in Mum's eyes. "He hasn't, has he? I understand men well. He's frightened by the responsibility." She nods towards my stomach. "Pretty soon, he's going to blame you for getting pregnant and he's going to dump you."

"That's just nonsense." Obviously Ed wouldn't do that. I...I trust him.

"Is it?" Mum raises her eyebrows. She knows. She can see my hesitation.

"Don't be silly. Ed isn't that kind of person."

"All men are the same." She waves her hands dismissively. "Trust me. You've to hunt him down and demand a marriage proposal."

I recoil immediately. "Mum! I'm not going to force him to marry me. That's just disgusting and fake."

"Pft," she snorts. "You will see. I've said my piece so I'm now off. I've to play bridge with some of my old friends."

With that, Mum struts out of the door. I stare at her.

Ed wouldn't do that to me, would he?

Obviously....not.

********

When Ed comes over that night, I pour him a glass of wine. Mum's words keep whirling around my head and I just cannot ignore them. What if she's right? What if Ed's scared of commitment? What if the reason why Ed hasn't mentioned about the wedding is because he regrets it?

Chill, Chloe. Just Chill.

"So, Ed, how was work?" I say brightly.

"Great." He comes over to me and holds me protectively. "I heard that you got into trouble at the club."

"Who told you that?" I sniff as I snuggle up to him. Geez, news do travel fast.

"Evelyn," he laughs. "She's kind of freaked out."

"I can tell."

Ed takes a swig of his wine and leans back. "It's nice to have you right next to me in one piece."

"Right," I hesitate. Should I bring up the wedding? "So, Ed, erm, about the...wedding..." I begin.

"Yes?" he says curtly. I flinch at his sharp tone. Maybe I shouldn't have asked and just let nature take its course but I can't back down now.

"Erm...is the...is the...wedding still on....?"

"We will discuss this at a later date," he says sharply and turns away. "I need to go now. I'll call you later." He kisses me lightly on the cheek and disappears out of the house.

I can't help myself but my eyes are watering. Maybe Ed regrets it. Maybe Ed wants to postpone it. Maybe he thinks it's my fault that Hannah died.

Maybe...just maybe...

Maybe he doesn't want me anymore.