Bread of love

I lie still in bed, not bothering to even disguise my pain. I know he's gone because I don't sense his warm, familiar presence nor can I hear his smooth voice. I just cannot believe that my perfect, sweet boyfriend is a child murderer.

"Knock, knock." I hear the door slam open and footsteps approaching my bed. I turn around, thinking that it's the nurse and almost yelp.

It's her. That treacherous bitch. The one who caused all these trouble.

"Hannah," I muster a cold voice and try to sit up.

Hannah is wearing a doctor's coat, much like Ed's mum, and I can faintly see her expensive beige suit underneath it. She looks down at me with a smug, condescending smile.

"So Ed has introduced me already. I'm surprised," she says, her eyebrow arched up in surprise.

I stare at her, trying to rekindle this woman with the woman whom Ed had tragically dumped and had lost her child. I am seriously trying to see her as the victim here but I just can't. Not with that idiotic face in front of me.

"What do you want?" I reply, wishing that I wasn't injured so that I can still kick her ass. Hard.

"Oh, I was just dropping by. I heard that Ed's latest toy is in here. I just had to see the little foxy bitch myself," Hannah says smugly.

"I'm not the one who broke up our relationship with Ed. You can't force these things," I say. I can't believe I'm still defending Ed at this moment in time but frankly, after seeing Hannah, I kind of can't blame Ed for leaving her. That two-faced bitch. The wretched woman.

"Ed knew the consequences when he betrayed me," she hisses, holding her clipboard up like a weapon. "I am Hannah Jupiter, the daughter of one of the wealthiest men in this freaking state. I will make Ed pay for this. Nobody disses me and gets away with it."

I stare at her. I just have nothing to say. In the sense, she's right. Why did Ed dump this pretty blonde heiress for me, a nobody? Still, I refuse to back down. I hate her. I hate her for demeaning me like that.

"I love Ed, can you say that for yourself?" I retort.

"Love?" she laughs, cackling like the evil witch from Narnia. "A marriage is a financial transaction. Mutual feelings don't come into play. If you will pardon me, a marriage is all about good sex and keeping the family empire."

I"m just about to say that she should get the fuck out of here when Ed walks in.

"Chloe, I bought your favourite croissants from downstairs. I-" He stops and stares at the skinny, pale figure standing in front of my bed.

"What the f-" he starts and Hannah laughs. "Oh, Eddie darling. I was just educating dear Chloe here about the wonders of marriage,"

Ed gives her a thunderous look, comes over to my side and places both his hands on my shoulder. " Get the fuck out of here, Hannah. No one wants to see your Botoxed, fake face."

Hannah gasps and instinctively touches her face. Uh-oh. No one disses a woman about her looks unless he wants to get chopped up.

She catches herself and smiles. " Before you make any hypocritical statements, just remember it was this same face whom you were attracted to in the past. What do you see in this wretched witch?" She gestures at me dismissively. " Nothing. She doesn't provide you with anything, not status, money.."

"There're some thins you just don't understand," Ed says quietly. "What I share with Chloe is far more substantial and genuine than any feelings I had for you. "

Hannah visibly pales. I guess she isn't used to being rejected a second time. "That witch must have given you a love potion. Look at her. Look at me. "

Ed's face turns ominously dark, stalks forward and deals a slap to her face.

I stare disbelievingly. Did Ed just....slap her?

Ed doesn't seem thrown off or anything. He says in a steely voice, "Don't you ever insult Chloe. She's fun, spunky and most importantly real. Nothing like you, just a fake Barrie doll which everyone throws away after using them.If I ever see you near her, I will personally murder you. Scout's honor."

I burst out laughing A his comment and cover my mouth. This is so embarrassing. I always have the weirdest reaction at one of the most inappropriate moments. Ed turns around and his face softens. I try sobering up but I can't resist a smile. You can never resist him. But that doesn't mean I'm not playing it hard to get.

Hannah growls and stomps off. I wave at her and say loudly, " See you next time, Ms Plastic-face!"

Ed comes over to me with a wary, unassured look.

"Does that mean I'm forgiven?"

"Maybe. But it still does not change the fact that you murdered your child," I say. Somehow, after meeting Hannah, I kind of shudder to see her bearing babies for Ed. That woman has no love for anyone. A child wold suffer if he grows up with such a mother.

"Chloe. I just want to have babies with you," he says.

"Is that a cheesy pick-up line?" I cross my arms.

"No. I'm saying that with complete, utter sincerity. I mean it." He wraps his arms around me and I smell the pine scent of his aftershave.

"I'm not forgiving you this easily. You will have win back my trust. "

"As you wish, my sweet, precious Chloe." He takes out a croissant from the bag. "Shall I feed you?"

As I bit into the fluffy soft bread, my teeth grazes against Ed's finger. He smiles playfully and I laugh.