Chapter 31

children bring us a piece of heaven on earth

children bring us
a piece of heaven
on earth

~

"It's a girl."

The nurse came out and informed everyone. Shehryar who was pacing infront of the labour room came to a halt and thanked his Lord for this rehmat. His father hugged him and congratulated him followed by his father-in-law and others.

Muntaha was still sleeping at ten in the morning as it was sunday when she got a call from Safi saying Aiman went into labour. Her due date was after a week but she started feeling contractions and pain early in the morning and they took her to the hospital. The doctor told them that the baby was ready to come earlier than expected and she was shifted to the labour room with her mother and mother-in-law assisting her. Everyone rushed to the hospital as soon as possible and they had been waiting since.

It was a cold november afternoon and Muntaha had rushed to the hospital with her family still in her pajamas which consisted of a thin white cotton shirt and loose pants. She took the first scarf that came into her hand which happend to be a multi-colour chunri, not the best source of warmth. Abdullah and Safi also happened to be in their pajamas but they were intelligent enough to grab their jackets on the way to keep them warm. Shehryar was wearing a woolen sweater with jeans. And Faris was wearing grey track pants with a matching jumper and black leather jacket.

When they were informed that the delivery is normal and there is nothing to worry about, her adrenaline slowly wore off making her realise the lack of warm clothing and she shivered slightly in the cold. Faris noticed this and took off his jacket and passed it to her. She blushed a little at his public display of affection and the whistles and wiggling eyebrows she recieved from Abdullah and Safi.

Aiman was finally shifted to a private room after the delivery and they were allowed to meet the mother and the newborn. Shehryar was the first one to hold his baby girl and a few tears slipped from his eyes. He kissed his daughter's head lovingly and then gave his wife a forhead kiss thanking her for giving him the best gift of his life.

After that the grand-parents took turns to shower the baby girl with blessings and love.

"Ammi, give her to me na." Abdullah whined, jealous over the fact that Safi got to hold her first. She just laughed at her son's impatience and handed the baby to him.

"Hey there, baby-boo. It's me, your most favourite uncle in the world." He said in a baby voice and made weird faces. The baby actually opened her eyes on his voice and gave her uncle a small smile.

"Look! She agrees. You agree, haina mamu ki jaan?" Her smile widened a little making Abdullah laugh excitedly.

His little speech about how he's going to get her everything she wants and spoil her rotten-ofcourse delivered in a baby voice- was disturbed when Muntaha poked his arm.