Part 20

Part 20:

We stared at each other, waiting for something to happen. Actually, I was the one waiting for her to do something, while I nursed my wounds. She stood up, with the guns still in her hands. I held my breath, waiting for her to unload another barrage of bullets on me. It was lucky that she decided to confront me after I woke up from days of rest and sleeping. Sure, I haven’t had food yet, but the rest did well on me. So receiving a few bullets didn’t matter much to my demonic body.

She walked to the window, and opened it wide. She kept the door locked, and I wondered –for a short moment –where Dante had gone to get my clothes. He had taken so long and still wasn’t here. God knew if he was sleeping on the corridor floor.

“You spin a likely story, Damon Kries.” She finally commented, and she sounded pissed. I took that as bad news.

“Call me Damon. And I wouldn’t put so much details or thoughts in a story as crappy as this. This is the truth. Nothing but the truth.” I replied, picking out another bullet from my forearm.

After the second time she shot me, that went into my shoulder blade, I had tried to make her calm down. Throughout my story telling, she shot me a few times, all in different places. But I had managed to finish conveying my situation to her. Right now, the bullet counts were three in the forehead, one to my shoulder blade, two on my shins and one on my forearm.

Each time, I took the bullets with no complains. I understood it was a way for her to unload all her unbelieving rage at me. So I bit my lips and bit her bullets.

“This… is a lot to take in.”

“You bet. But you have to believe me. I mean no harm to Dante or any one of you. I would have done something if I did. I am never the patient man. I will not wait so long to kill someone living so close to me.”

“I… didn’t expect this from you. I knew you were Damon Kries. I knew you had been Damon Kries the entire time you came. I knew you tricked Dante and us all into believing that you were his twin. But I knew nothing more. I wanted you to confess about how you were planning to kill Dante…… but not this…”

She stood by the window, looking a little lost. In a way, she looked kind of forlorn. Like everything hadn’t gone her way, and she was left in the debris of what was left behind.

“I know. It took me months to finally understand that I’m not returning so soon. It was very hard to accept that Damon Kries was gone. But over the days I became more comfortable with the skin of Vergil. I became Vergil. Dante saw me as the brother he never had. I saw him as the little kid of a twin I never had. Of course, I had to look out for him. But I knew it was impossible for me to do it alone. So I had to forewarn you.” I stood up, beginning to walk towards her, with the intention to do something to comfort her.

Okay, so she came looking for answers. She got the answers she wanted, but the answers were way out of her depth. She didn’t expect this. And I felt sorry for her for that.

“To protect Dante? Couldn’t Vergil do it? The real Vergil?”

“He’s a spirit. No matter how much he looks after Dante, he cannot do many things. I have to be there. That’s what I’m here for.” I advanced closer to her. She was looking at me with cautious –and a little scared –eyes, but she didn’t do anything to stop me from advancing.

“When are you returning? What happens to Vergil then? What about his… body?”

“I frankly don’t know. Vergil keeps on talking in cryptic sentences. Sparda’s involved in this too. I don’t know what to prepare for, but I can only look forward to the time when everything is going to boil down.”