Part 13

Part 13:

Dante’s P.O.V

“Bye, Dante! I’ll see you tomorrow!” Patty waved, shouting despite the fact that we were parting on a road where everyone was probably asleep. I wasn’t even sure why Patty was still so awake at this time, and immediately attributed it to the strawberry sundae she had extorted out of me.

Her mother had given me a dirty look when she found out that Patty had been eating the sundae before bedtime, but at least she hadn’t said anything about it. Besides being the priestess she was, she did not have the amulet anymore. She couldn’t summon Abigail up on me even if she wished for it.

Silently, I thanked myself for having killed that bloody demon, as I turned back towards Devil May Cry. The sundae had settled well inside my stomach, so I guessed it was time to sleep. I hadn’t found any work for the week yet, but I was pretty certain Lady would drop by anytime now to throw something at me. I guessed I had to take whatever she threw at me, since I was running low on money.

Maybe I could get Vergil to supply me some cash.

But then again, my brother was almost as tight-fisted as the demon huntress I was in debt with. At least with me. For some mutual difference between us, Vergil had an aversion to treating me to anything, while he dropped bills on Patty to buy anything she wanted like it was raining money.

Sometimes, my brother cared for Patty more than he cared for me.

What kind of a brother was that?

I guess I had no complains, since I never did ever have enough money to treat Vergil. At least him being here had helped me lighten my load with the girls. Just a few days before, I had heard Vergil cursing as he received the bill from the boutique down the road. Trish had amounted her bill on him. And when Trish began shopping for clothes, she tended to overspend.

Lady had stuck her bills on him a few times already, though I took to note that the amount she stuck on him was definitely lesser than what she would do on me. I still couldn’t shake the feeling that Lady was getting smitten with my brother. Ironic and moronic. But I couldn’t say anything about it, unless I wanted a bullet in my forehead again.

Seriously, Lady needed to stop doing that sometimes.

I was a little surprised when I returned to see the shop lights turned off. Sure, he had said he would turn in early, but that bastard brother of mine never seemed to follow his own advice. Sometimes, I really wondered if Sparda passed him all the hardworking and wits to him. Not that I minded about it. I’m fine with what he gave me.

“Oy! You asleep?” I called as I locked the doors behind me, looking around for a sleeping idiot. He wasn’t on the couch, so I guessed he had lugged his ass up the stairs. Then I realized it was kind of stupid. He always called me lazy pig. And here he was, catching up on more sleep when he had been sleeping on the same routine as me. Hey, I’d watched him fall asleep, wake up, take a drink and fall back asleep a few times in a row just for today.

I lumbered upstairs, and decided to check his room on impulse. I never worked well without knowing what Vergil was doing. Two months and two weeks; he has been here, but I never have shaken the feeling that he’s planning something. He couldn’t have changed so much. I was still a little suspicious if it had all been a façade, to get close to me, to win my trust and betray me all over again.

One time of stabbing me in the heart was enough for me. I may not be old, but I wasn’t sure if my heart could take anymore of swords piercing through it.

His door was unlocked, so I went in easily. The desk lamp was turned on, but no one was sitting there. I looked to the bed, and there the lazy pig was. He didn’t even pull the covers over himself, before he fell asleep. He probably was really sleepy when he fell like that. The posture didn’t even look comfortable.