Part 16

Part 16:

Damon’s P.O.V

“You and I have many things to talk about, Mister.” Lady said, jabbing a finger in Dante’s chest.

I watched as my brother turned around, shrugging it off. “Talk to my ass. I owe you a debt, but I don’t need to lend you my ears for your sweet nothings about Vergil.”

I bit my tongue about his wildly inappropriate comment, and turned away, pretending that I didn’t hear him say what he just said. Much as I liked to scold him for lying, I wasn’t yet sure if Lady was getting truly attracted to the idea of me. If she did, she wasn’t showing any signs. Either that or her signs were too subtle for me to pick up on. Either way, both of us had to bite our tongues on it and endure Dante’s incessant teasing.

“So what is this all about? Am I supposed to expect some demon trying to bring about the end of the world, or just looking for its next meal?” I asked nonchalantly to Lady, since Dante most probably wouldn’t tell me anything even if his life depended on it. I wasn’t even sure which he was more miffed at; that he could not sleep his lazy ass off back at Devil May Cry, or that he was not going to get his strawberry sundae.

“Apparently, both. And it’s not only one demon. It’s a horde of them.”

Trish clapped her hands behind me lamely. “Oh goody. More toys.” Her sarcasm almost killed me, though I had to admit that was what I felt inside too.

What was the point of the kid asking us all to come? Surely demons didn’t need such massive killing? Sending Lady here was enough. Dante would no doubt tear apart this little town again. Trish being here would probably do the same, or maybe explode all electricity lines with her gift of lightning. Me? I didn’t even know why I agreed to get my butt dragged into this. But I guessed it was the conditions of me staying here. Rule number one of staying in the Devil May Cry World: Follow Dante around when he’s doing mission.

Yeah…. Right.

“Yeah, that’s apparently what I thought too. But if you get a peek of their hideout, the sheer numbers will make you think otherwise.” Lady turned to give us a careful eye while Dante stretched and yawned.

“How many of them are there?” I asked, faintly interested. Fine, if there were a bunch of them, then they probably needed more than Lady. But surely there were not so many that they needed all four of us?

“Maybe a horde was too vague.” Lady sighed, sweeping up her fringe even though it was nowhere near her eyes. “Does an army of demons give you the slightest clue?”

Army? “Seriously?”

It was Dante that replied. “Damn right. As many as when I went to Temen-Ni-Gru. All sorts of them. All you can ask for. It’s like an all-you-can-eat-buffet there.”

“Wasn’t asking you, Pretty Boy.” I snapped, glad that there was a chance to annoying him back in reply. “I was asking the lady.”

Lady grinned, but there was a permanent furrow in her brows that I was pretty sure would be there until this army of demons was gone from this place. “Thank you. But, like Dante said, there are more than a few dozens of them. They took more than a tiny warehouse. They took an entire shipyard, just to inhabit. God knows how the kid managed to keep them away from the citizens before he got desperate.”

“Talk of the devil. The kid’s here.” Trish broke up our quiet conversation, making us turn our head to the entrance of the café where we’d agreed to wait for the kid.

“My name is Nero, Gloria.” The kid snapped when he came, but Trish waved it away with barely a shrug. Dante snorted once, as if the name invoked some joke he shared with the demoness that looked like our mother.