Part 9

*Thank you MoonlightHope28 for your comment! I'm so glad you enjoy this~ It means alot to me, really~*

Part 9:

Dante’s P.O.V

I woke up when Patty closed the door behind her, a little surprised that I hadn’t even thought of dragging myself upstairs yesterday night. Heck, I was even wearing what I wore yesterday. Boy, it smelled. That stupid incubus had been trying so hard to get away, though I had to admit that he was an easy kill. But his blood had sprayed all over my favorite shirt. Damned that stupid Ellin.

As if throwing me such a crappy job wasn’t enough, Ellin had to reveal that he was here for someone else. Like I suspected, the incubus wasn’t here without his partner. It was not rare for an incubus to come to this world with a succubus by his side, though it was kind of rare that they worked apart. Not that I really wanted to care, though I was pretty sure his succubus half would be coming to find me anytime soon.

Maybe I could throw this back to Vergil. He didn’t have the fever anymore, right? He probably was up to hunting some succubus.

Vergil. What the hell was wrong with him? Sure, he had the excuse of coming back from the Underworld. Sure, I hadn’t seen him for years –and he could have changed in those years. But something told me that this wasn’t what happened to Vergil. It was like… my brother was entirely a different person. The Vergil I knew was someone else. This Vergil was… different. Not to say I didn’t like it. Anyone who gave me pay, took Patty’s attention and helped clear part of Lady’s debt was enough to make me feel grateful.

But I couldn’t help feeling that this wasn’t my brother. Sure, he looked like it. Sure, he still had his half-demon’s scent. Sure, he still had whatever skills he had before this. But it seemed as if his entire character changed. Granted, he was still as –annoyingly –clever as he had been. But this Vergil was… kinder. As if he really treated me like a twin, a brother. As if he really cared for me.

It was kind of hard to see him like that. Who could forget the sword he put through me at the top of Temen-Ni-Gru? Who could forget how he tried to kill me at Mallet Island?

“You smell bad! Wake up, Dante! Go take a shower! You’re stinking up the place! What have you been doing?” Patty’s voice shouted beside my ear, hitting on my arm, trying to wake me up. But I didn’t want to. I was perfectly fine sleeping here. So what if I smelled? I wanted to sleep.

“Go away. Go cuddle up someone else if you’re unhappy that I smell.” I grumble as I shifted, turning my back to her at the couch.

“Can’t you just bathe? You’re giving me tons more work to do! Now I’ll have to wash the entire floor off that stench!” Patty complained again, hitting me on my back.

With a sigh, I sat up, took off my trench coat, and my shirt, throwing it to the ground.

“There, I don’t smell anymore. It’s the clothes that smell. Go wash them.”

“I’m not your maid! Dante!” Patty stomped her feet, but I didn’t care. I just want to go back to sleep.

“You sure sound like one. A maid, a nanny and an annoying mother at the same time.” I grumbled my insult, turning my back on her again as I fell back on the couch.

“I hate you, Dante! You’re so annoying! Why can’t you just be like Vergil? I can’t believe you guys are even twins!” Patty complained, but all the same, she scooped up the dirty clothes and began to walk away.

Why can’t you just be like Vergil?

Why couldn’t I? Then again, why did I want to be like Vergil? Why was I even twins with someone like him? He was like the good side of me I never had. That annoyingly ‘good’ part of him that accepted the job of hunting down that stupid incubus. That stupid part of him that earned so much money behind my back. In fact, I didn’t feel at all guilty for stealing from him. He owed me rent anyway. His money had giving me quite a good time at the strip-club yesterday.