Chapter 10

The Vampires Slave

Chapter 10

I sat in silence after Lace left. I wanted to know what his problem was but, I wasn't too sure if I would ever find out. I probably wouldn't have enough time to find it out, this was after all just going to be a short stay. As soon as I got near that portal, I was so out of here. I didn't know what to do, so I got up from the couch and walked over to the night stand in which I found the bottle of blood. I opened the drawer and pushed aside the bottle, pulling out the book. I sat down on the bed and brushed away the dust on it, smearing a few drops of blood across the cover in the process. I scrunched my nose in disgust and almost wiped my hand on my dress when I remembered what Lace had said. I wanted to go to the bathroom to wash my hand when the book in my lap randomly opened to a phrase that was underlined with a deep red pencil.

“They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions,” said Atticus, “but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule is a persons conscience.”

I read the phrase over and over and wondered who had underlined it. The prince seemed like too much of a idiot to read something like ‘To kill a Mockingbird. It just seemed weird to think that he would underline it. He obviously didn't live by it. I closed the drawer, walking back to the couch. I sat down and turned to the first chapter. I didn't know how long I sat there and read, but some time later I heard the door open and close. I looked up to the door, half expecting Lace to be leaning against it. There was no one, so I looked next to me and noticed a full tray there. I drank some milk and ate half a sandwich while I continued reading. I went to the bathroom after an hour or so, and as I came back, it was already getting dark and a full tray of fruit sat on the couch. I looked out the window and noticed some lights in the distance. It looked like a long wall of little fires, dancing in the distance. I shook my head and turned back to the couch. I slowly sat down and started to read again.

Funny how books seem so appealing when your locked away.

I didn’t touch the food, but later on put it on the floor, went over to the bed to get the other dresses Nathalie had brought and laid them over the side of the couch. Then I grabbed the pillow and the blanket and laid down on the couch and continued to read. I must have fallen asleep, because when I woke up, there was a candle burning on the window sill and the tray of fruit was gone. I turned back to the book, and fought the sleep that slowly overtook me.

*Prince Leviathans P.O.V.*

I left the library and first noticed how dark it already was outside. I went to the kitchen and took a bottle of blood and drank it. It didn't taste good, but it filled the need and I didn't think it was fair to kill innocent people just to get what you wanted. I slowly walked to my room, I couldn't let a mortal girl keep me away from there. I opened the door and walked in. 

I could smell a familiar scent in the air, but it was too faint to tell what exactly it was. I walked to my bed and sat down as I pulled off my boots. I then noticed the flickering candle on the window sill. I walked over and was about to blow it out when I saw the book she clasped tightly in her hands. It was my book. The one from my nightstand. Then the smell of blood hit my nostrils. I looked at her right hand and saw dried blood on it. I wanted to see if she had hurt herself or so when I looked up at her face.

As her rhythmical heartbeat filled the silence of the night, I took the time to study her face. She had a fair complexion, even though her skin was very pale. Her long black lashes seemed like a full and thick veil. Her lips were pink and full and looked beautiful in the flickering candle light. She had the face of a goddess. I leaned in closer and felt her warm breath on my face. I wanted to lean in closer, but I pulled back and quickly blew out the candle and walked back to my bed. 

I stripped to my shorts and slipped in the covers. I was almost asleep when I heard her catch her breath and heard how her heartbeat quickened. I jumped out of bed and ran over to her. The moonlight that shone in through the window showed tiny beads of sweat on her forehead and I didn't know what was going on with her. I felt helpless as I watched her start to shake.

______________________

I was running fast and the cold night air stung my lungs. I didn't have time to looked back, but I heard the footsteps come closer. I tried to run faster but my feet always slipped in the soft snow, making it impossible to gain speed. I pushed myself to run faster and finally gained a little speed as I slipped and fell to the ground. I was breathing exhausted and could hear the footsteps of the man in the leather jacket get closer. He just shot my mother and now he would shoot me. I looked up and saw him point his gun while running. He came to a halt as he was standing above me. He pointed his gun at me and pulled the trigger. I started to cry as my blood filled the snow around me, turning it into a little red halo all around me. I heard the ambulance howl in the distance as unfamiliar faces hovered over my body. I looked up at the full moon and saw my mother. I got up and looked back down at my body. I ran towards my mother and hugged her crying hard. She opened her mouth to speak and I was pulled back into my wounded body.

“Not now.”, I heard her whisper as she smiled down at me and I slipped into blackness.

I bolted up in shock, as the pain seemed too real, and held my left rib. I could feel the scar through the dress and I looked up to see th prince standing next to the couch, a look of shock and horror on his face. My breathing was heavy as I swung my leg to the ground and sat up straight on the couch. I wanted to get up and get some water from the bathroom as the prince practically ran there. He came back with a cool wet wash cloth and a glass of water. My throat was dry and I quickly took the glass and drank. I noticed how he stared at my wrists as he handed me the cloth. I lait it on my neck as the prince opened the window. The sudden burst of cool fresh air made me shudder and the prince wrapped the blanket around my shoulder as he sat down next to me. He set the empty glass on the window sill as he leaned back. Oddly, I felt better with him being there, I didn’t want to be alone. I leaned back, feeling exhausted. I was too tired to even move away from the princes shoulder. He laid his arm around me and I slipped into a dreamless sleep.