Chapter 9

The Vampires Slave

Chapter 9

I sat in silence after Lace left. He wanted to help me escape. Just not from this world. I couldn't understand how anyone would be happy here. I missed my father and I missed Marlena. Marlena, oh yeah.. I felt hot tears streaming down my cheeks as I thought about her. I blinked a few times to suppress them, what would the prince think if he found me crying? He would think of me as weak. So I wiped them away as best as I could. When the door opened this time, the king stepped in and awkwardly sat down next to me on the couch. He slowly lifted up my hands and inspected my wrists.

"My son isn't bad.", He said, avoiding my eyes. "He's just... He is a very difficult young man." 

I didn't reply, only got up and moved away from him.

"I will send Nathalie here with some clothes for you. Even though you are a slave, it doesn't mean that you are to look like a homeless peasant.", He said and got up, walking over to the door. He stood there for a moment, watching me intently. Then he turned and walked out.

If I wouldn't be in this situation, then I'd say that it was really nice of the king to come and try to comfort me a little. I went to the bathroom and gently washed the dried blood from my wrists and hands. When I came back out, I went over to the window and looked out. I slowly opened it to see how far down it went. There was a stack of hay just below the window. If I would jump out, I surely wouldn't break any bones if I'd only manage to fall into it. I was sure that Austin could smuggle me into the castle and bring me to the portal. I was about to just jump out when I noticed for the first time that my cloak was gone. 

I quickly looked around the room. Next to the bed, was a nightstand on each side. It couldn't be in there. So I went over to the drawer chest. I opened each one. In the first, there were some old photo albums. I wanted to peek through them but I didn't know when someone would come in here next. So I closed the drawer and went on to the next. In the next, there were some porcelain figures and some candle holders. The prince didn't seem like the porcelain unicorn type, so I guessed he must have a sister or so. I went through the rest of the drawers and only found junk. Little empty satin satchels, an antique looking book, and more useless stuff. Maybe Lace took off my cloak after I fell asleep last night.

I went back to the window and decided to give the nightstands a go. I went to the one on the right side of the bed first. I opened the drawer and found a book and a bottle of ketchup? Why would he keep a bottle of ketchup in there? Didn't they have a kitchen? Why would he keep it in there?

"That's the princes, you better not touch it."

I whirled around and saw Nathalie standing there with a few dresses slung over her arm.

"Uhh, I.. I was only-", I stammered nervously.

"Yeah, you were just snooping through the princes personal stuff.", She said and smiled knowingly.

"Well, the king won't like it if I tell him that you were sneaking up on me!", I snapped angrily. I quickly put the ketchup bottle back in and closed the drawer quickly. Then I walked over to the couch and sat down.

"Nice little spill.", She spat at me. I didn't know what she meant until I looked down my dress. When I had that ketchup bottle, I must have loosened the top when I held it.

"Oh, by the way, that's not ketchup.", She said as she put the dresses on the bed.

"What is it then?", I asked surprised.

"Your in the vampire princes room. Go figure.", She said and left smiling.

What did she mean? Why would a vampire keep ketch- It wasn't ketchup. It was blood. I had someone else's blood on my dress. I ran to the bed, took a dress and made my way into the bathroom to change. I didn't know where I should hide the dress. I was sure that if the prince knew that I was snooping around here, he'd probably punish me or so. I decided to throw it out of the window. So I quickly walked over to the window to open it and get rid of the dress. And found Lace leaning against the door.

"You don't have to throw it away, any vampire would smell the spilled blood in here.", He said as he looked at my horrified expression.

"It... It was... It was Nathalies fault!", I said quickly.

"Any vampire would hear your heartbeat quicken as soon as you lie. So don't.", He said and started walking up to me.

I went to the window anyways and opened it quickly. I didn't know why but, I didn't feel too excited being in a room with a vampire and a bloody dress.

"Don't throw it out there.", He said irritated. "Do you want to attract a million vampires attention?"

He took the dress away from me and dumped it down a chute in the bathroom. I hadn't noticed that before. I thought it was only a wicker laundry basket.

"Now, wash your hands with hot water."

I noticed how he tried not to breath in the air around me. He went to the window and opened it, letting fresh air in. I took some soap and started washing my hands and arms. I wondered how the prince had managed to ignore the smell of my blood yesterday. I guess he was too angry to notice. When I was finished, I dried my hands and threw the towel I had used to dry my hair and the one I just used to dry my hands down the chute.

"Why did you lie?", He asked as I came back out of the bathroom.

"Lie about what?", I asked innocently.

"Why did you lie about the spilled blood?"

"Ohh, that. Well, I can't be punished for doing it.", I said without thinking.

"And why can't you be punished?"

"Because I wouldn't like it.", I mumbled quietly.

"Then why would you let me punish Nathalie?", He questioned me.

"She's always so mean, as if I stole something from her or so.", I answered after a while.

"Well, you actually did.", He stated and walked to the door.

"What did I take away from her?", I called after him.

"The prince. She was supposed to be his next slave.", He answered as he opened the door.

"WELL YOU KNOW, SHE CAN HAVE HIM!", I yelled as he closed the door.