.:Chapter 24:.

*Authors Note*
Hey Guys,

I know I haven't uploaded in an eternity. (Just about 4 months anyhow...) Though I'm going to try to wrap this story up soon. I'm really sorry about not updating this story, because lately, writing turned into a chore for me with everything else going on. Though I hope to wrap this up nicely within a week or so. So, thanks for being fans, if anyone's even still reading my story.. Still, thank you to those who still are reading it, you guys are the greatest.
So please read, comment and vote if you like.

Thanks.

P.S.

Not fishing for excuses here, but my laptops dip into death and the land of broken chargers for the last month and a half didn't really help either when the occasonal urge to write overcame me. Though thanks to my mothers godly touch, Gilbert II (yes, I named my laptop Gilbert) joined the land of the living again.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

.:The Vampires Slave:.

.:Chapter 24:.

*Samantha's POV*

I continued walking on in the darkness, though I hadn’t really known where I was going in the first place. Walking around aimlessly seemed to be a better option than just sitting around helplessly.

I felt the familiar queasiness settle in my stomach as it growled again. I hated the hollow feeling of it. Though I wasn’t exactly in the position to change it. Not at the moment anyways.

"There should be a small village coming up ahead.", Batillus stated after some time, pulling me out of my own little world.

"Am I even heading the right way?", I asked suspiciously. I wouldn't put it past him to just send me on a wild goose chase.

"You're heading the right way.", He answered as he chuckled. "Why would I send you into a wrong direction?"

"To get rid of me? To annoy me? To-"

"Alright, I get it.", He grumbled in defeat as he continued to walk on ahead of me. I followed him quietly, hoping he really was being honest.

A light groan escaped my lips as I suddenly felt some stray raindrops hit my face. Batillus didn't seem to notice as he marched on ahead of me. I had to run up to catch him as he walked faster.

"It's raining now too.", I stated flatly. I didn't really want to talk right now, though maybe it would distract me from the hollowness spreading in my stomach. Looking over to Batillus, I noticed how absentminded he seemed at the moment. Maybe he didn't mean to walk faster, he was just lost in thought.

"It's going to get worse before it gets better, so speed up hot cakes, or do you really want to be wet in my presence?"

I stopped dead in my tracks. I shot a glare at him, though he couldn't hide his usual smirk. I ignored his innuendo, continuing to march on as I ignored him. He really was his old self, even in death. Though he was just a tad more sufferable than before.

"Are you hungry?", He asked after the awkward silence became too heavy.

"No, my stomach is housing some lions, excuse the growls emitting from it.", I snapped as I marched on. Go figure. Just when I thought he was a normal and acceptable being, he'd do something like this. I continued to stomp on, pushing my way through some thick bushes. I stopped instantly as I felt what must have been a thousand thorns shredding away at my covered skin with each step I made. I cursed loudly, hating the fact that I had been too distracted to notice I'd walked into a row of thorn bushes.

"Are you stuck?", He asked finally, chuckling quietly behind me.

"No, I'm just....", I growled silently. Of course he'd make fun of the situation. "I'm just resting."

"So you always rest in the middle of a thorn bush?", He questioned me quietly. Though he couldn't mask the chuckle which escaped him after a moment.

"I'm not stuck, alright?", I snapped finally, causing him to shut up instantly. I growled in frustration, not caring if he heard me or not. I gritted my teeth as I turned to face him. Still gritting my teeth, I lifted my hands out of reach of the pointy vines and stormed back out. I sighed happily as I finally got back out. Though I should have been anticipating the pain. It felt as if I'd tripped into a stack of needles. A stack of thorns anyways...

Dozens of small red dots lined my hands and probably the rest of my covered body parts too. I pulled Karstens jacket tighter around me, glad for the protective layer the fabric had been. A few droplets of blood formed on ma hands and wrists, though I quickly wiped them away. I sighed heavily. I hadn't planned on stapling myself with mother natures plants. I hadn't planned on a lot of things. I looked up at Batillus, noticing for the first time how badly it was raining now. The rain was practically pelting away at me. Lucky ghosts...

"How far until we get to the village?", I asked finally after I studied a few small cuts on my hands. They weren't bad, probably wouldn't even leave scars, though my idiocity with the thorn bushes still made me mad.

"Not really far, I'd say it's about an hour away or so. If we hurry, we can still get there before you've completely killed yourself.", Batillus stated, though his usual smirk wasn't in its place as I glanced at him.

"Alright, you lead the way.", I murmured quietly, bowing my head a little as he walked past me.

***

Just as we arrived at the village, it stopped raining. Which was fine by me, though I couldn't have cared less if it was still raining or not. I was dripping wet, and chilled to the bone. At least the rain washed away most of the dried blood. Though my dress now had a pinkish glow to it.

The village wasn't very large, though it wasn't really small either. It was lined with houses, some stores and a pub. The only place emitting light was the pub, so that's where I aimed to go.

"Maybe you should get some rest first.", Batillus muttered as he followed me. I heard the sincerity in his voice, though my empty stomach, my soaked clothes and the overall chill and grumpy mood I was in left me intolerant to his sincerity.

"Batillus, I'm literally starving. I'm soaked and chilled to the bone, I'm hungry and I feel like a life-sized needle pillow.", I snapped angrily, not caring if he'd only meant to help or not. I continued to march on into the pub without waiting for a reply from him.

I marched into the pub, daring anyone inside to say anything as I looked around. The pub was nearly empty, only filled with a few stray men sitting in groups as they drank. I froze as I caught sight of Eugene in the far corner. Praying he hadn't seen me, I quickly ducked into a side booth. I waited for a while, paralyzed in fear before the elderly barmaid approached me.

"What can I do ya for sweet'ums?", She asked cheerily, smiling warmly as she studied me. She wore a large brown woolen dress and had her bright auburn hair up in a knot. She was about forty or so, overall, she reminded me of the sort of aunt that'll let you stay up late if you slept at her house.

"Well, I haven't got any money, so-"

"That won't be a problem now sugar, 'ts alright if ya don't have any, we've taken to servin' anybody who'll come 'round to these parts again.", She stated merrily. "Jus' like that fella over that a way."

I glanced into the direction she nodded her head to, surprised to see Eugene still sitting there eating some sort of soup with a piece of bread.

"Hasn't gotten any money either, poor boy. Told us how his horse got stolen. Damn thieves in these parts of the land.", She cursed almost silently, though I tried to ignore the guilt that was pressing down on me now. I was the one that stole his horse. "That's why almost nobody comes up here. We get paid fine by all the rich folks travelin', 'course they can afford the needed protection, but folks like us? W never really make it out to the sidewalk without bein' mugged by some stranger. So, what do ya want ta eat?"

"I don't know, anything would be fine, really.", I stated quietly, failing hard at ignoring the guilt.

"Alright then, I'll just warm you up some good ol' soup and a couple slices o' bread.", She murmured to herself as she walked away. She returned a few moments later, holding a steaming bowl and three slices of freshly baked bread.

I grabbed the bowl eagerly, sighing satisfied as the delicious smell tickled my nostrils. I dug in quickly, thanking the barmaid before she could walk back to her place behind the counter. The soup was think, with some deliciously prepared vegetables. I grabbed some of the bread, marveling at its warmth. I never knew how good freshly baked bread was before now. After I finished, I noticed that my clothes weren't as soaked anymore, they were damp at the least. I looked around, frowning as I noticed Eugene wasn't sitting at his table anymore.

"All finished sweet'ums?", The barmaid asked as she approached me again. "Want some more?"

"No, thank you. Where did that young man go to? I didn't see him leaving."

"He left shortly after ya got yer food. Mustn't have noticed him slinkin' by ya.", She replied with a grin, taking the empty bowl.

"Well, thank you anyways, I've got to go, too.", I stated apologetically, getting up as she smiled warmly.

"'ts fine. Stop by here anytime ya want ta.", She replied before bustling back behind the counter. I quietly walked out of the pub, walking around the building in search of Batillus.

I shrieked in surprise as I felt hands grab me from behind. I was pulled up against somebodies chest, though I had no chance to figure out how or why as I felt a hand wrap around my throat. I tried to wedge my hands in between my throat and his hand, though I didn't really succeed. So I merely grabbed his arm and tried yanking it away from my throat as his other hand snaked around my wait, holding me against him.

"You stole my horse. I told them we should just turn you in, but no. Now I'm going to turn you in to retrieve my reward.", The man whispered hoarsely. "Did you think I wasn't going to recognize Karstens coat? You stepped into that place all high and mighty as if you owned it. Nobody knows you're a thief, so why not, eh? On second thought, nobody knows you're a murderer either, do they?"

"Eugene?", I asked nervously, coughing slightly as his hand squeezed my throat.

"What? Did you steal from so many that I don't seem memorable any more? But I must have made it into the top if you still remember my name.", He murmured into my ear as he pulled me farther back into the shadows. "Where is my horse?"

"Do I look like I have your bloody horse? Now let me go Eugene.", I snapped in a moment of heroic bravery.

"No, but I'll get my horse one way or another.", He whispered quietly, letting his hand squeeze harder at my throat. I'd have a big bruise there by dawn, though I'd be happy if I even made it until then.