051. Reckless

The moment Gwen arrived at home that weekend, the door is opened by one of Antoine's creepy living mannequins, who immediately motioned her to the dining area. Being welcomed by the horrifying sight – which is something she is already used to – she started to feel that something might be wrong.

At sa huli, hindi nga siya nagkamali. Sa dining area niya naabutan ang amang si Matthew at si Antoine na tahimik at komportableng umiinom ng kape. The atmospheres of the two men seemed dark and ominous, and Gwen did not need to read their minds to know that something disadvantageous for her will happen.

Pinaningkitan ni Gwen ang dalawang lalaki nang mapatingin ito sa kanya. Isang sarkastikong tawa ang namutawi mula sa bibig ng dalaga bago inilagay ang isang kamay sa bewang niya.

"This is about me, isn't it?" tanong niya sa dalawang lalaki.

Tinapos na ni Antoine ang kapeng iniinom niya, bago tinanguan ang isa sa mga buhay na manikin para kunin ang walang laman niyang tasa. Pagkatapos noon ay napahinga siya nang malalim bago tumayo mula sa kinauupuan.

Nginitian ni Antoine ang ama, "Mauna na ako, Dad. I have some business to attend to."

Bago tuluyang umalis, nilapitan siya ni Antoine at bahagyang pinisil ang pisngi niya sabay sabing, "You deviant little thing..."

Gwen just squinted her eyes at her older brother, who did not let her respond and just went on his way.

Nang sila na lang ni Matthew ang maiwan, binigyan siya ng ama ng isang matalim na titig. "Maupo ka."

Tinitigan ni Gwen ang ama ng ilang segundo, bago muling nagsalita. "Kinailangan kong gawin iyon."

Matthew heaved a deep sigh, knowing that the girl already read his mind. "I said, take a seat."

The young lady's expression remained firm, but she still followed her father's orders and sat right on the place that Antoine occupied earlier. It is two seats away from the head of the table where Matthew sat. Even though Gwen looked firm and determined, she is still afraid of her father's temper, knowing that he can be a little blunt when reprimanding them.

"Ano ba ang iniisip mo at pumunta ka sa warehouse na 'yun, Gwen?" the man asked her sternly, "You could have been caught... That place is heavily guarded and is extremely dangerous for you."

"Ah, I almost forgot that you have the ability to locate anyone you came in contact with and know what they are doing right now... Nalalaman mo nga pala ang lahat ng mga ginagawa namin kahit hindi namin sabihin," napabuntong-hininga si Gwen at pinagmasdan ang ama, "Kung alam mo palang naroon ako, bakit hindi ninyo ako iniligtas? Pwede niyo namang gawin 'yun ah."

"If I did, then I'd make everything more complicated for you. Magtataka ang guwardiya doon kung bigla na lamang kaming lilitaw para kunin ka roon, hindi ba?"

The young lady frowned. "Why don't you just trust me, Dad? Kasama ko naman si Vladimir. He's a technopath and he could –"

"The two of you aren't the only metahumans there," Matthew responded, before heaving a sigh of despair, "You may be used to using your telepathic powers already, but will you stand a chance against dozens of metahumans in there? And Vladimir... Will you be able to protect him?"

Hindi nakasagot si Gwen, at piniling iwasan ang tingin ng ama. "Nag-ingat naman kami eh."

Matthew sighed in frustration before focusing his eyes on his only daughter. "I allowed you to enroll in Faircastle High School because you said you wanted to find out the truth with the Paramount Class... I agreed because I thought you wanted to gather information for the Sanctum. But I never allowed you to fight and destroy the program. Oo, hindi ganoon kalakas si Benjamin kung mag-isa lang siya, pero maraming metahumans na sumusunod sa lahat ng iutos niya. He has a legion of it, which includes some of the former members of the Paramount Class. Daniel may have some metahumans with him too, but that's not enough..."