Sparklers and Stars

Khun's POV

"Good morning, Khun! Good morning, Rak!" a cheerful voice said, waking me up.

My eyes fluttered open to see Bam beaming back at me. I squinted at the bright morning sunlight that was shining through our tent.

"Good morning...," I yawned then looked at Bam with concern, remembering everything that had happened yesterday. "Bam, are you okay? You are being surprisingly cheerful."

"I'm okay," he smiled then gently shook sleeping Rak. "Wake up, Rak! Breakfast is at eight-thirty."

The idiot grumpily got up then started cursing turtles for ruining his sleep. The three of us went brushing together then got ready for the new day. I was worried about Bam for the whole time.

"Bam... are you sure you're good? You can talk to me," I said, grabbing his arm. "I know you're upset." I paused. "It's okay to be upset."

"Yeah, I'm upset," he nodded, still smiling. "But I don't want to ruin it for you and Rak. Let's have a great day today, Khun. Camps are supposed to be fun! I don't want to ruin my first experience of it."

I feel myself smiling then looked back to see Rak asleep once again in our tent. I went in then kicked him.

"You don't want to miss breakfast, you lazy idiot," I said. "I'm not saving any for you if you miss it."

Nobody's POV

The three of them spent the day together. They hiked with their class, did rock climbing, and more games that even Khun admit it was fun. The sun finally started to set, and the trio sat down on the sand together as they watched the beautiful dawn sky.

"Today was awesome," Bam smiled.

"I agree," Khun said. "Surprisingly."

"I'm hungry," Rak declared.

"Get up. We need to set up the BBQ area for dinner tonight," Hwaryun called, and so the trio got up and started helping.

~Time Skip to BBQ~

"You're burning your chicken," Khun told Rak, who angrily cursed the burnt chicken then dumped it.

"Take mine, Rak. I'll make another one for myself," Bam offered, giving his meat to him. Rak- of course- happily accepted it then started munching.

"You're spoiling him," Khun mumbled, and Bam only shrugged it off.

"Hey Bam! Are you feeling better?" Endorsi smiled, shoving Khun aside to sit next to the boy. Khun gave her a glare then slowly continued to cook his fishballs. "Whoa, the chicken you're cooking looks so good! Can I have it?"

"Yeah, sure," Bam said then dropped it off to her plate.

"Aw, I feel bad though! Let's share it," she grinned. She cut the piece in half then shoved the meat in front of his face, leaving just an inch or two away from his lips. "Say 'ahhh'."

Bam gulped. "J-Just put it on my plate."

"Open your mouth."

He hesitantly opened his mouth then took a bite. It really did taste good. She was about to feed him another piece, then Khun stopped her.

"Just put it on his plate," he rolled his eyes. "No space for your pointless flirting here."

"Go somewhere else, Big-Eyed Turtle," Rak said, shooing her away.

"Ugh, rude! I can't believe Bam is friends with the two of you," she crossed her arms then walked away, mumbling "later, losers."

Soon BBQ was over. Everyone helped to put away and tidy up the mess before leaving.

"It's a bummer that the day ended so soon," Bam sighed.

"Who said it's ending?" Mazino grinned, appearing behind him. He held up a plastic bag then handed it to him and his friends. "Babies! Wanna light some sparklers?"

"What's a sparkler?" Rak questioned, peaking through the plastic bag.

"Basically a mini firework," Hatz replied dully.

"Sparklers? Where'd you get them?" Khun asked.

"Oh, Yuri and I sneaked out and bought some to play with our class, but we got a bunch of leftovers, so I thought I'll give some to you poor babies. You guys should have more fun," Mazino said then dropped off the plastic bag filled with sparklers to Bam. "Be careful too! Don't let the teachers know!"

"Sweet!" Shibisu cheered then started handing out lighters and sparkler sticks to everyone. 

Everyone was having the time of their lives. They ran around, took pictures, and lit up more sparklers. When the bag of sparklers was finished, they all sighed in disappointment. It was finally time to go to bed. After all, it was already 1 AM.

Bam, Khun, and Rak were the only ones awake. Everyone else was tired and went to bed. There were even loud snoring noises coming out from the tents.

"I recognize that snore. It's from Shibisu," Khun stated, shivering from that thought of his roommate.

"Khun! Rak! Come out! There are so many stars!" Bam exclaimed, and Khun and Rak immediately left the tent and followed him. The trio laid down on the grass then stared up at the sky, feeling themselves drowning into the million shining stars above them.

"Rachel loved stars," Bam spoke. "She was always drawing them when we were younger."

"Bam... I'm sorry about Rachel. I know she means a lot to you," Khun said, eyes still focused on the shimmering and luminous stars in the dark sky.

"Forget about that turtle. For all I care she can even join the stars," Rak huffed.

"We're always here for you, Bam. Don't hesitate to talk to us when you have a problem," Khun smiled, turning to face Bam. "I can be a jerk sometimes, but even jerks can be nice." He then smirked at Rak. "I don't know about idiots though..."

"Thanks, I'm glad I met both of you," Bam beamed. "When I was younger, my only friend was Rachel. I was homeschooled and was mostly kept in the house because of my protective guardian, but now that I got older, he finally let me go to school! Of course, I wanted to go to the same school as Rachel, that's why I came."

He sat up then smiled. "I was very upset to find out she actually hates me. It surprised me because she means so much to me. But as I was with you guys, Endorsi, Hatz, Shibisu, and the others, I realized it's okay, because you guys were here for me."

"That's right, Black Turtle! Frick whoever gets in our way! The three of us would forever be together, even though I don't really like Blue Turtle!" Rak said, also sitting up.

Khun smiled a little then sat up along with them. "Let's get some rest. It's getting cold-"

"Take my jacket. You sure are weak to be cold," Rak said, tossing his jacket to him.

Khun hesitantly took the jacket then frowned. "I don't want it. It stinks," he said in disgust, tossing it back to him.

"THAT'S THE LAST TIME I'M DOING SOMETHING NICE FOR YOU! DAMN BLUE TURTLE!"

"Not like I asked for your kindness!"

That night Bam dreamt of stars. Next to him stood Khun and Rak, holding his hand. He felt safe and genuinely happy.

He slept well.