Flight of Staircase

Bam's POV

Why was Rachel being so cold to me yesterday? Will I see her again today? I want to talk to her...

"BLACK TURTLE!!"

I turned to see Rak running towards me. He really has a lot of energy, especially early in the morning.

"Good morning, Rak," I smiled. "Did you sleep well last night?"

Rak dramatically hugged my arm. "TURTLE! YOU REALLY CARE SO MUCH FOR YOUR LEADER! THAT ARROGANT COCKY BLUE TURTLE IS ALWAYS SO MEAN TO ME-"

He was interrupted by Khun, who kicked his back.

"You're giving everyone in the hallway a headache," he said, glaring down at him.

"Good morning, Khun," I greeted.

"Good mor-"

He was interrupted by Rak, who kicked him back.

"What the-?" Khun groaned, once again glaring at him.

"You asked for it, turtle!"

"I'll kill you."

Before I could stop them, a red-haired girl stepped in and pulled them away.

"No fighting or killing in the hallways," she said, sending both of them a death glare.

"As if he can kill me!" Rak scoffed, sticking his tongue out at Khun. 

"You're the class president, right?" I asked her. "Hwaryun?"

"Yes," she said emotionlessly, letting both of them go. "How was school so far? I heard you never went to school before."

"It's been great!" I exclaimed. "Khun and Rak had been with me since yesterday! My roommate is also really friendly... although he was just mostly sleeping. I even saw him walking to school with his blanket."

I noticed a figure quickly walking past us.

Rachel.

"Rachel! Wait!" I called, running after her. She looked back then started running. My heart sank. Why is she avoiding me? Did I do something wrong?

She turned toward the staircases, and just as she was about to run down, I caught her by the shoulder.

"Rachel! It's really you!" I said happily then gave her a hug. When she didn't hug me back, I let her go and looked at her with confusion. "Why didn't you want to talk to me yesterday? Why are you avoiding me just now?"

"Bam," she said, seriously looking at my eyes. I gulped. "Why are you always following me? Didn't I tell you I can't always be with you? How did you even find me?"

"Before you left, I saw your school application-"

"I'm sorry, Bam, but you can't just follow me like that," she said sternly. 

I grabbed her hand, and she pushed me- a bit too hard- because I stumbled and fell off the flight of staircases and hit my head.

I saw her froze then ran away. A few seconds later I heard Khun and Rak yelling, then everything went black.

***

My eyes fluttered open. I was laying on my bed in my dorm with my head wrapped in bandages, and Khun was sitting next to me while reading a book.

"Khun," I spoke. My voice was raspy and dry. How long was I out for? 

He immediately put down his book. "Bam! You're awake! How are you feeling?" he questioned me.

That's when I remember how Rachel pushed me off the flight of staircases, but I decided to keep quiet.

"I'm fine... my head hurts a little though," I said.

"Rak and I found you laying at the bottom of the staircase with your head bleeding," he said worriedly. "Luckily it wasn't a major injury. Good thing you didn't crack your head."

I slowly nodded. He eyed me suspiciously then gave me a glass of water. "How did you manage to get hurt though?"

"I was chasing after Rachel, and I got too excited and fell," I lied.

He looked at me then gave me a smile. There was a sudden loud knock on the door and he got up and opened the door to see Rak running away.

"I'M NOT WORRIED ABOUT BLACK TURTLE!" he shouted.

Khun rolled his eyes. "I didn't even ask. Just come in, Rak. Bam's awake."

Rak ran in then gave me a hug. "YOU'RE ALIVE, TURTLE!"

I laughed, "yeah, I don't think I'm dead."

I felt really upset. It has to be an accident when Rachel pushed me. Everyone makes mistakes, right? That's one of the first things she had taught me when we were younger. Maybe I should leave her alone for a while.