Dealer "Beers ago"- Toby Keith

“While you are fixing the engine, can you also paint this bike? I want red, rattle can red.” A man, new to the town, told the town mechanic. 

“I think you should get this tires changed, they look pretty worn out.” the mechanic suggested. “Where did you get it anyway?” 

“It’s a hand me down, the last owner died two days ago.” The man, whose name was Ralph, smiled mysteriously.

“There is something on the tires”, the mechanic said looking at them, “it looks like…blood and skin. Did you tread on some animal?”

“Just a poor boy!” Ralph murmured in an inaudible voice.

“You said something?”

“How much time will it take?”

“Almost a day.”

“You know what? I need a drink. Is there a bar nearby?”

“Take a left down that road.”

“Thanks.” Ralph said heading in the direction pointed out by the mechanic.

Ralph loved bars. They were always filled with the kind of people he liked, sad and desperate. The bar was nearly desolated.

“Why don’t you sell your truck? It keeps getting stuck.” A man was talking to his friend.

“It has some good memories for me. I made a lot of almost love in the bed of that truck.”

“Have you ever considered the fact that your worn out truck is the reason behind the ‘almost’?” the man said rolling his eyes.

No work here, Ralph thought and moved towards the door. But a couple of letter jacket boys singing Jerry Jeff songs entered the bar and Ralph knew he had work there.

“So what would you guys like?” the bartender asked them.

“We are gonna drink your whole bar.” One of the boys said in a slurred voice. He was very much drunk.

“How much money do you guys have?” The bartender asked them. He could tell that the boys weren’t financially strong. In the few years of owning a bar, he had learned about the rights and wrongs of the business. And he had had his shares of wrongs. But that was fourteen hundred and fifty two beers ago, three hundred of them bad debts.

“You got me.” the other boy said sheepishly, “I was hoping we wouldn’t get caught. He spent the last of our money on wintergreen skoal.”

“At least I didn’t spend all the money we had on main street gas.” the drunk pointed.

“Beer for them.” Ralph said sitting on a stool besides the sober boy.

“Thanks man. I’m Jack and he is George.”

“Hi” George said and passed out on the counter.

“Where are you from? You don’t look like you belong in the city?” Ralph asked.

“Yeah, we are from the far west.” Jack nodded.

“So what are you guys doing so far from your home?” Ralph enquired.

“I actually came here after a girl.” Jack confessed.

“Then what are you waiting for, go get her.”

“She hates him.” George said suddenly and passed out again.

“She doesn’t hate me. She just wants to make it big in this city.” Jack defended.

“You are in luck because I can help you get her back.” Ralph smiled.

“Do you know Jenny?” Jack asked hopefully.