A mermaid's tale - "Famous Last Words" by My Chemical Romance

"Now I know that I can't make you stay."
"No you don't have that power," she thought.

He said with his wicked smile, "but where's your heart, baby, where's your heart?"

She looked at him with an expression which was a cocktail of anger, desperation, hatred and powerlessness as if to say, "My heart lies in the ocean."

"You know you can have everything back and much more, anything that you want. What do you say about that?" He flicked his fingers and her voice was restored.

"You know I don't want any of this, I never did. I want to go home, you won't let me and I know there's nothing I can say to change that part."

"To change that part." He laughed. "How often do you think you can change your parts? I won't let it happen again. You won't go back."

"I'm going away from you," she said as her voice left her and she ran out in the unknown.

He sighed. His eyes lingered for long at the place she had been standing.

He remembered his first time out. It had took him days to adjust to the brightness.

They had so many bright lights here. They cast a shadow, sometimes more than one. That was what made him shiver. The big shadows, belonging to people, big bulky people who had practice to walk, to run, to kick.

He knew he had to get her back. She won't survive here.

"But can I speak? No, I've lost the right to convince her. I'll just follow her."

She was on the road, looking lost. She wanted to go home but how could she?
It was not hard understanding that she was incomplete.
"How can she survive a life that's so demanding. Sometimes even I get so weak."
He knew that he had to protect her because he loved her. Their love kept testing them. She followed him this far, saw what he had became and failed to mend him.
"A love that's so demanding I can't speak but I'll with her, invisible."

"I know you are here. I can feel you. Go live your disgusting life and leave me alone."
"I will. I am not afraid to keep on living. I did what I had to survive."

"And I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

"Honey if you stay, I'll be forgiven."

"Don't call me honey. Nothing you can say can stop me going home."

"How will you go back like this?"

She was silent.

"I can help you. Let me help you go back."

"Can't you come back with me?"

"No," he said trying to hold back his tears. "There's a place."

They were now stepping in a shady hotel room.

He took her to stand in front of the mirror and asked her, "Can you see?"

Her eyes started shining bright. The hotel mirror had turned jet black. She was standing on one side but the other side was the ocean, her home.
"But how will I go back? I can see home and I'm so weak."

"What's the problem?"

"Is it hard understanding I'm incomplete? I don't have my tail or fins. I'm human," she sobbed.
"Well it's easy." He smiled. "To take something you have to give something."

"What do you want?" She looked at him with disgust.

"Oh you know I don't have the powers to send you home without a sacrifice."

She stared at him.

"It will need a big sacrifice, a life."

"NO!" She tried to stop him but it was too late.

A whirlpool emerged from the mirror and took both of them back to their home in their original form.

"These bright lights have always blinded me," he whispered his last words.

They were home but he was dead. She saw him lying next to her. The words that came out were the ones she never thought she would speak -the prayer they said on someone's death.

She was awake and unafraid. She did not know if he was asleep or dead.
Of course she knew but won't believe it.