Broken Glass- "Into your arms" by Maine

Alicia River was a tough woman. She had to be, there was no place in the police department for a doll. It was a Monday morning when she got a call from her partner, Turner Smith, about a new case. Actor Sally Jones had been found dead in her apartment. Alicia was on her way to work. Instead she took the road to the crime scene.

“What’s the update?” Alicia asked her partner while ducking under the yellow tape and entering the apartment.

“Looks like a suicide.” Turner answered, “She was found dead in her bathtub. Harry thinks she took an overdose.”

“Where’s Harry?” Harry Simpson was their forensic expert.

“With the body obviously.”

Alicia went to the bathroom where the body was lying. Turner was right behind her. Harry was busy taking photos of the body and the surroundings.

“Why would she do this to herself?” Alicia said with a horrid expression as she saw the body. She had seen many gruesome deaths and gross bodies in her career but she had never seen a suicide so disturbing. Suicides were supposed to be the easy way out.

Sally Jones’ corpse lay in the bathtub. Her head was shaved. There was no trace of her long blonde hair. Her face was mutilated badly. There were numerous scars on it and it was covered in blood.

“My guess would be depression.” Harry said putting the camera in his bag.

“Depression?” Alicia asked, “She was a freaking superstar. Why would she be depressed?”

“Success can be lonely.” Turner said thoughtfully.

“I just told you what the evidence suggests. Come with me.” Harry signaled them. They followed him to the bedroom. A big mirror was shattered and its pieces were scattered everywhere. Alicia hadn’t noticed it when she entered the bathroom.

“My theory is that first she took this”, Harry pointed on a small marble statue lying on the floor, “and threw it towards the mirror. The mirror shattered. Then she took this piece of the broken glass and mutilated her face.” Harry showed them a piece of broken glass with blood on its edges.

“And then she shaved her head?” Alicia asked.

“We can’t know when she shaved her head, it could have been after this or it could have been a day ago.”

“Well, not a day ago. She had hair Sunday night. I talked to the neighbor.” Turner said.

“Then she overdosed in her bathtub. We found an injection in the tub and an entry point in her arm.”

“She was struggling with drugs.” Alicia said, “She got in big trouble for that.”

“And also for the drunken driving.” Turner added. Sally had crushed two people with her car a while ago. The case was still in court.

“Maybe it wasn’t suicide. She just took the injection to feel better but OD-ed.” Alicia suggested.

“That can’t be. It was a very large dose. She knew what she was doing.” Harry said and added, "We'll know more when I get the body to my lab."

“We’ll talk to the neighbors while you pack everything.” Turner said.

“I talked to the next door neighbor. She said that Sally didn’t talk much to her but was seeing somebody in this building.” Turner told Alicia as he led her to the elevator.

“Who?” Alicia asked entering in the elevator.

“She didn't know the name but told me that he lives in 301.”