Darkness- the only saviour - "Spectrum" by Zedd

She was running with all her might. It felt like it was her time leave the dark place that had become of the earth. But she did not want to die. The lights were chasing her. She needed darkness. She felt stupid for her earlier vanity. You don't need a bath when darkness is the only savior. It was a matter of seconds; her black paint vanishing in the water and their coming for her. She had thought that they believed no human was left alive. It had been years since she was last chased. So she had become a little reckless. She knew it was going to cost her.

A hand came out of the air, as dark as darkness itself, and drew her close. The man shoved her into a dark wall and covered her with his body. She felt uneasy; they were so close that they were breathing each other. Her fighter spirit, the survival instinct kicked in. All she wanted to do was shove him away but she knew that he was trying to save her. This was her first human contact in years, ever since her father had died. She did not even know that there were others. Ever since she was eight and the planet was engulfed in light, she had seen everybody die, her friends, neighbors, every human. Then there was just her family. As an eight year old, she could not believe that light could be a destroyer and darkness all they would want. There was a hope inside her, hope for a doubt; maybe they did not want to kill everybody. She found out the truth the hard way, when her mother died. Since then their life had been just survival. They wore black clothes, dyed their hair black, wore black sunglasses and covered their whole body with black paint. There was no difference now in day and night. It was always bright. They lived in old buildings and underground tunnels, ate whatever they could find. Without light and fire, cooking was out of the question.

After the death of her father, (the lights did not kill him, the dark did), she had never spoken. It felt like she was lying inside the quiet drama that she and her father had created. They had had no time to talk, they had been too busy surviving. She did not miss him much.

She did not miss company or human contact, she had not known it for the past few years. She had not counted that ten years had passed since the invasion or five since her mother's death and two since her father's. She had forgotten that she had a younger brother who had died on the day which changed the planet.

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

When he first saw her, he was shocked. Another human was alive, he was not alone. Her hair was flying in all directions. She was covered in black clothes but her face shined in the light. He felt anger, why was she so stupid to have left her face uncovered. Then he realized that if she had managed to survive for so long, she can't be stupid. He needed to help her. And that he did. And now it had been over twenty minutes and he was still afraid to let her go. So was she. They both did not know when or whether it would be safe.

He could not let her go. He was sixteen when the lights first came and killed everyone he knew. He wondered why he was alive when his girlfriend was torn to pieces in front of his eyes. He was in the dark and that saved him. He had run to his family, only to find them dead.

He had searched the whole earth for someone else and finally found her. He had also gained knowledge about them. They could not hear but saw everything and everywhere which was not black and they wanted to kill all humans. Even shiny teeth were enough for them to find and kill you.

He was hungry for company, for love as he had once tasted. But it was a stolen dream, or so he had thought before he saw her. He was no longer wearing his heart like a stolen dream; he knew there was still hope. That the key to happiness may be broken but they could open skies if they combined both their keys.

He decided that he won't let the lights blind them any longer.

He smeared the black paint on her face. When he was satisfied, he let her go.

"Are there any more humans?" she asked, finally finding her voice.

"None that I know of," he replied, "You alone?"

She nodded.

"Let's go."

"Where?"

"Somewhere safe," he said, "somewhere new, to find someone, I don't know." He shrugged.

"Let's go," she replied, holding his hand, "but first I need to pick up some things from my...."

She babbled on, but he did not hear it. He was lost in the sound of her voice and his own thoughts.

We'll run where lights won't chase us, hide where love can save us. I will never let you go.

She had no intention of leaving him ever either.