An Apology

"Hi girls you can all have the morning off" I smile at Anne and Lucy, walking towards my bedside table.

"You're room is lovely" I hear Alice comment, as I take the stack of books and place them on the bed. "You have a lovely view of the gardens" . I watch as Alice steps onto the balcony. 

"I spent most of my time cooped up here" I laugh. 

"I can understand why" She says only above a whisper. "Emily, I'm sorry", I watch as Alice turns to face me. "I never meant to be such a witch. It's just, I'd never really met anyone bellow a three and my father would always tell me horror stories about the lower castes. I never really gave you a chance. I just saw you as a five and I'm sorry for that", I see one teardrop. I've never seen Alice express anything close to sadness, but right now the girl is an open book. 

"It's alright, I hope we can be friends?" I offer a smile. 

"I would love that". 

We make our way back into the room, spending the next hour going through the stack of romance novels. Smiling and laughing, I finally se the true Alice. The girl without her father looking over her shoulder. She's free and surprisingly kind. It's nice to know that I have two friends here with me. Even if there's not long left.