Painting Fish

The next was spent with Maddison. Cayden was busy on dates with each of the elite. I tried to keep my mind occupied, to stop myself from overthinking. That's what I'm trying to do as I sit in the garden with Maddison. 

"What do you want to paint?" I ask the little girl. 

"Flowers" she giggles as I watch her scoot closer to a rose bush. following her I pulled the painting supplies out of the basket and laid down the blanket. 

"Okay, here's the paper, paints and paint brushes" I tell her. I watch as she contemplates the colours before picking up a paintbrush and coating it in red. For hours we sat painting the roses. Looking at the painting I smile. 

"It's beautiful", I smile at Maddison.

"Thank you for the help, I just couldn't figure out how to paint the thorns" she scrunches up her face in an adorable way.

"No problem Maddie", I laughed.

"I miss Gretel" the little girl mumbles.

"I miss her too", I smile sadly at the precious little girl now sitting in my lap. "She's always with you though, right here" I put my palm over her heart. "And she's always watching from above". I watch as Maddison look up. 

"Thank you Emily" and we hugged remembering the remarkable girl we both lost. 

"Come on what else do you want to paint?" I ask Maddie. 

"The fish" she smiles and runs to the pond. 

"Watch your step Maddie we shouldn't want you fall I would we?" I remind the little girl, I'm now responsible for. I sit quietly as I watch my little artist get to work. When Maddie is done panting her first fish I hear footsteps behind us. Turning around I see Cayden entering the gardens with his arm wrapped around Alice. quickly looking away, I look back at Maddie painting.

"I can't wait" I hear Alice's voice approaching. 

"Me neither" Hayden replies. 

"I'll have to tell my family, oh and pick out my dress and-" her voice is right behind me, and I see Maddie turn towards her. I watch as Maddie wipes the paint form her hands onto her dress and stand up with a smile. 

"Hello" the little girl smiles up to a surprised Alice. 

"Umm.." Alice looks awkwardly at Maddie, "hello sweetie".

" I'm Maddison" she introduces herself sticking her hand out to shake Alice's. You can still see the mixture of paint on her tiny hands. Alice awkwardly laughs. 

"Maddie, the paint" I explain pointing at her hands. Looking scared by Alices reluctance the little girl runs into my arms. 

"Is this your painting?" Cayden asks looking at the incomplete painting of the fish. Maddie lifts her head from my neck and smiles at Cayden. Wriggling out of my arms, she makes her way to Cayden. 

"Cayden!" she exclaims hugging him tight. 

"Hi my precious" he picks Maddie up and swings her around. Her giggles fill the air. Placing her on his hip she stared at him. 

"I painted fish and roses", Maddison explains avidly . "Show Cayden my paintings !". I pick up the paintings and hand them to Cayden. He smiles at me and takes in the paintings. 

"Wow these are wonderful" he smiles at the girl in his arms. "I think I know a perfect place for these masterpieces" he continues. I raised my brow as he smiles at me. 

"Where?" Maddison can hardly contain her curiosity. 

"I'll put them up in the entry hall, so that everyone will see your beautiful paintings" he smiles.

"Really?" Maddie asks.

"Really" he replies. A cough brings our attention back to Alice. Standing up I take Maddison into my arms.

"Cayden's a bit busy at the moment Maddie, how about we go to the kitchen and see if there's any cookies" I suggest. 

"Yes!" she screams. Laughing I pack up the basket with all the painting supplies and walk back inside, leaving Cayden to his date. I trust Cayden. I know he loves me. It will all work out in the end.