❝ chapter three ❞

|• Zonnique •|

.

"Oh, you're here again." I rolled my eyes. "You can come wait in the living room. Chresanto's still getting ready."

Jessica did a fake smile and walked in. "Why is your house so small? I'm not comfortable in small houses. My house is way bigger." She giggled. Childish.

"I'm the only one that lives here along with my kid. So, why waste money on buying a big house." I shrugged slightly.

"I live alone in a big house, the fuck?" She laughed. "You not making any sense."

"Well, that's you. We're two different people with different personalities and different interests."

"Don't forget the part where Chresanto and I have way more money than you." She smirked.

I look down and mumbled, "Right."

Don't let her get the best of you, Zonnique.

I kept repeating in my head. She's right. I'm slowly running out of money and I can't find jobs. Most jobs here in LA don't accept me because, of course, me going to jail is on my record. I was only hired to KD's clothing's store because Kevin owned the store.

Chresanto came out and I couldn't help but to stare. He changed so much-for the better. I was almost jealous of his outfit, 'cause I couldn't afford that type of clothes.

Jessica cleared her throat. "He's mine." She whispered in my ear.

Yeah, don't remind me.

I moved to the side so he could go. He had an interview today. He can kind of walk now. As the doctor predicted, that he would be able to walk after two weeks but he can't perform for a month.

I locked the door after them and went to check on Jayden.

.

|• Chresanto •|

"So, how things going, Roc?" Ryan asked me. "We all heard about your terrifying accident. What exactly happened?"

"I'm doing better," I nodded. "And a speeding car crashed into mine and after that I had no idea what the hell happened; I was unconscious. Next thing I knew, I woke up in a hospital and my ex was there."

"Whoa, your ex?" He chuckled. "Who might that be?"

"Uh, she don't want people to recognize-"

"Zonnique," Jessica interrupted me. "Zonnique Pullins."

I shot her a glare and she giggled. I'm not surprised that after two weeks, she knows Zonnique's full name.

"You don't seem happy that Ms. Parks blurted out her name like that, Roc." Ryan spoke. "What's goin' on?"

I sighed. "She doesn't want to be known, and I have to make sure that doesn't happen."

"Seems like you care about her," Ryan chuckled and Jessica glared at me.

"I do," I laughed it off. "Just like I care about Jessica and everyone else."

.

|• Zonnique •|

I seriously need to get a job and get money so I can have enough money to pay the bills. They cut off the TV cable this morning and they gave me a paper warning me if I don't pay the house bill, I'll get kicked out. So, I was currently on my laptop, applying for multiple jobs.

That was almost impossible to get done, since Jayden is sitting in between my legs and he won't stop moving. When I put him in his crib, he starts crying.

I went to open the door with Jayden in my hand when the doorbell rung. It was Chresanto and Jessica that was back.

"I made Shrimp Alfredo, if you guys are hungry." I did a small smile.

I felt like a housekeeper again.

"No, thanks. We stopped somewhere and ate before we came here." She fake smiled. "We don't like Shrimp Alfredo anyways."

I nodded slightly and tucked in my bottom lip. "Okay."

I was about to go back to my room with Jayden but Chresanto stopped me. I turned back around and looked at him. He had the remote in his hand.

"Why is the TV not opening?"

"Oh, um, they-they cut it off." I was embarrassed to say the least.

"Why? You don't pay the bills?" Jessica giggled.

"You're getting kicked out?" Chresanto asked, looking down at the paper they gave me earlier. Shit. I should've known not to leave that paper in the living room. "Why don't you just pay the bills?" He looked at me.

"I-I don't have mon-" I was embarrassed to tell them I was running out of money knowing they have all the money in the world. "I mean, I-I was going to."

"Girl, if you don't have money to pay the bills, you coulda just said that." Jessica laughed and I looked down.

Why was I intimidated by her?

"You don't have money to pay for it?" Chresanto asked.

"I'm looking for a j-job; I'm planning on paying it." I rubbed my arm. "Just not now."

"I'll pay for it." Chresanto shrugged. "I don't want you to get kicked out."

"What?" Jessica chortled. "You are not gonna pay for that girl's bills." She said, in disbelief.

"N-No, you don't have to do that." I shook my head. "I'll pay for it, I promise."

"Well, what are we supposed to do then? It's boring here." Jessica sucked her teeth.

"You live in a big mansion, that probably have a movie theater." I said.

"You right." She smiled before turning to Chresanto. "You coming, babe?"

"Yeah, sure." Chresanto told her before looking at me. "I'll see you later."

They walked out the house and I locked the door behind them. I went back to my room and place Jayden in between my legs once again and resume my job hunting.

A tear strolled down my cheek as I went deep in thought. Why couldn't I be rich like them? I wouldn't have to worry about loosing money. I wouldn't have to worry about loosing my house.

I ran my hand through my hair. What if I do loose this house? I can't be homeless with Jayden. I can't be homeless again.

I sighed and put my laptop to sleep. I was tired; I've been doing this since this morning. I laid down on my back. Chresanto was right; no one's happy alone. I can't take care of myself-I can't even take care of Jayden for crying out loud. I have no money and I'm so close to loose my house.

When Chresanto came back, it was around ten PM. I was sitting in the living room, on my laptop, once again, job hunting. When Chresanto came and sat next to me, my heart raced.

The things he does to me.

"You can stop applying for several jobs now, Nique." He chuckled slightly. "I already told you that I'll pay for everything."

I look down at my nails. "I don't want you spending the money you worked hard for on me when I can just have about 3 jobs and pay for everything."

"By the time you'll get hired for a new job, you'll probably get kicked out." He spoke softly.

I don't know what came over me but I started crying. I felt ashamed of myself. I cover my face with my hands and continued crying. Chresanto pulled me into him and closed the laptop.

"Hey, it's okay," He kissed the top my head. "What's wrong?"

I lift up my head. "I never wanted to turn out like this-" I sobbed. "I wanted to be successful and be able to take care of myself. Now, here I am, sitting home with a child, depending on someone to pay for my bills." I moved away from Chresanto and ran my hand through my hair, lightly pulling it. "I...I-I can't take it anymore."

vote and comment for next chapter .
the song in the MM helped me write this chapter, y'all should listen to it :)