❝ chapter five ❞

y'all should listen to 'Grand Piano' by Nicki Minaj near the end of the chapter. i swear, it'll make you cry. Lol

|• Zonnique •|

I was sitting in court waiting for Kevin's lawyer, Mr. Lewis, to call his first witness. I don't get why now Kevin wants to come and take custody of my son. He didn't want nothing to do with him in the first place. I was able to get a good lawyer because of Chres. So that gave me some hope.

"I would like to call Zonnique Pullins to the stand." Mr. Lewis called me.

I stood up walking to the stand feeling many glares on me. I sat down and looked at the people sitting in the back who were also waiting for an answer. I saw Chres who did a small smile to me and his bitch Jessica who just shot me an evil glare. I looked up and saw Mr. Lewis walking towards me

"Ms. Pullins, you're unemployed and homeless right?" He asked.

"N-No, I'm not homeless. I paid for my rent but yes I'm unemployed." I said truthfully.

"Okay, if you were to get custody of Jayden, how would you pay for the next rent if you're unemployed?" He said, raising his eyebrows at me.

"I'm going to move in with a Chresanto August." I looked up at Chres and seen a smile on his face.

"Say that he had never got in that car crash, say y'all had never reunited again, you wouldn't have money to pay for your rent! Meaning, you and your son would've been homeless! Am I right, Ms. Pullins?" The lawyer said, yelling at me.

I shook as he yelled. "Yes, but I would fi-"

"I rest my case." Mr. Lewis went and sat back down, leaving me speechless.

I stood up to go back to my seat trying to hold the tears in my eyes from falling. I lost complete hope in this trial. I looked at Kevin and saw him smirking. I looked in the back and also saw Jessica smiling. It's all her fault that I'm in this situation. I shook my head and looked back to what was happening.

My lawyer, Mr. Rogers, stood up and called Kevin to the stand. I watched him sit down with the biggest smile on his face. I rolled my eyes.

"So, Kevin, why do you want full custody of Jayden?" My lawyer asked.

"Well, I read that Zonnique was near to be homeless and is jobless." He said, shrugging.

"But, you didn't want anything to do with your son.  Why not just provide Zonnique with money?"

"I don't care about Zonnique, I care about my son." He said, harshly. Wow, really? That hurt. Wasn't he the one that practically begged me to get back together with him, knowing he was married?

"Why now all of sudden? When you take care of Jayden, you won't show much affection." Mr. Rogers stated.

"I'll learn how to, inplus he's still a baby." Kevin shrugged.

"But, your life is going so well. Are you just doing this to torture Zonnique?"

"No! I just want my son. He needs a father figure in his life!" Kevin yelled, getting frustrated.

"What about a mother figure, huh? What about Zonnique? Don't she need her son in her life? What about when Jayden grows up and starts asking for his mother? What are you gonna tell him? Fill him up with lies?!" Mr. Rogers threw his hands up.

"Zonnique doesn't deserve to be a mother!" Kevin yelled. "She got her first daughter, Taylor Pullins, killed because of her stupidity. She fucking went to jail because of her stupidity. She was homeless, whose to say she's not gonna be homeless again, huh? She'll never find a job with that on her record. I have a beautiful wife at home who's willing to take care of Jayden. She'll be his mother figure."