Chapter 7: Not his Type

* Check out my other Naruto stories.
Shadows of the Village (New) - Frequent Updates 2020
The Marionette (1) - Completed.
The Broken Doll (2) - Slow Updates. Sequel to the Marionette.

"That stupid, Kakashi sensei! Is that book more important then the results of our training?" Naruto all but shouted, as he and Sakura walked in front of Temari, Takeo and Shikamaru. The three were remarkably quiet after Takeo had reassured them he would be fine.

"Well, now we can discuss our strategy against Kakashi sensei." Sakura had the tact to change topics, sending Takeo a sad smile which he returned. She was still in disbelief about how their sensei had treated the boy who was once his ward. And despite Lady Tsunade taking all the blame, even Sakura could see how Takeo being left out of the loop was a bad idea.

For all these years he had believed the one person who promised to care for him, abandoned him without a second thought. Believing that he was a mere inconvenience to the older shinobi, who's team had fallen apart when the Uchiha went rogue.

Sunagakure had been the solution the Hokage had come up with. And as much as Takeo had appeared to be healed and welcomed by the Sand, the Leaf should've done better. We should've done better. The thought alone made Sakura clenched her fist. If they had the opportunity, Sakura promised herself that she would do everything in her power to ensure Takeo was safe.

When Sakura had gone silent, Naruto had slid back to where the suna shinobi were walking. He eyed the three of them suspiciously. "So, are you three on a date?" Takeo spluttered, instinctively shoving both Temari and Shikamaru away from him in disgust, despite their protests as they hit the ground.

"It's not like that," Shikamaru defended from on the ground. Groaning as he dusted off his pants and sent Takeo an unamused look. "Was that really necessary?"

"Don't take it too personally, Shikamaru." Temari grinned. Her expression made Takeo hesitant and the other's curious. She didn't leave them hanging long. "You're just not his type."

Immediately a face came to mind, leaving Takeo's ears burning and his palms sweaty. "Piss off, Temari." He shot her a look, almost pleading her to drop it. Arguably making it worse as Naruto's comical grin grew.

"Oh? Has little Takeo gotten himself a girlfriend?"

Naruto's question made Takeo want to die where he was standing. He had never felt ashamed for his closeness to his friend in Suna, as many just shrugged it off. But vocalising it in a land that sent him away? He hadn't been this uncomfortable in a long time.

Temari's elbow jabbed Shikamaru before coming to rest on her hips. He rubbed his bruising ribs, grumbling incoherently, though clearly not missing the cue. "Maybe you two should focus on your plan to defeat Kakashi, and besides, Naruto. Did you know the Chunin Exams are coming up?"

Even though Naruto's attention was easily moved, Takeo noted that Sakura had realised the sharp change in topic. Her green eyes glimmered with curiosity, that forced him to grimace and shake his head subtly. Another time. She nodded minutely, accepting the delay in conversation for the time being.

"Chunin exams, huh?" Naruto was oblivious to the topic of Takeo's love life being abruptly abandoned. "That sure takes me back."

"And although it's a pain," Shikamaru cut in, earning him the group's undivided attention. "I've been put in charge of the exams. And I've been told to act as a guide for the Sand messenger - Temari." The Nara vaguely gestured for them to keep moving and the group obliged. "So what are you going to do, Naruto?"