Chapter 5: Memory Lane

Temari hadn't seen Shikamaru as lively as he had been since seeing Takeo back in the Leaf. The usually laidback Nara had spoken about the changes in the village, there weren't many, with such enthusiasm, that both Suna shinobi had questioned his health.

Takeo couldn't complain though. It was the first time that he's had a friend outside of the sand siblings, to talk to. He wasn't good at making friends to being with and his introduction to the civilians and shinobi of the Sand was a rocky one - for some odd reason, stealing village secrets were frowned upon, and apparently not how one makes friends.

"So, Takeo, does the new Kazekage have you running ragged for Suna yet? No offence," Shikamaru sent the accompanying shinobi an amused expression as they walked. "But it'd be a waste of your skills to be on lock down, but since no one had heard about you on any missions, they assumed the worst. Kiba had even suggested us going to break you out a a few times over the years, as our messenger birds came back empty handed."

Takeo's brows pulled together as did Temari's, leaving Shikamaru to believe that his joking had somewhat hit a nerve. It was strange to think that Suna had more positive memories attached to it, if that were the case.

Takeo shared a look with his baby sitter for the trip, noting the way she avoided his gaze. That didn't boost his confidence or convince him that she had no idea about the bounced letters. "I was never told that anything had arrived, let alone sent back. Unfortunately, Shikamaru, I was on lock down for the first two years. Unable to leave the Village even if I wanted to without risking being thrown behind bars."

"That's barbaric," Shikamaru snapped, both Temari and Takeo being caught by surprised at his reaction. "The Fifth Hokage promised us that you would be taken care of - she promised, Takeo."

The anger the Nara felt was growing by the second just thinking about Takeo being behind locked away. The isolation tactics Shikamaru had bared witness to, in the Leaf, were enough to make him question his village's ethics and intentions when it came to the son of a criminal. They had let his friend down in more ways than one and that was unforgivable.

He didn't expect the Sand to do anything different than his beloved village. Takeo hadn't lived there for as long as he had the Leaf, and they had no reason to trust the criminal who had stolen from them.

Shikamaru shouldn't of trusted them to take care of his friend - surely his father could've helped in some way. There had to of been something he could've done to prevent his friend's suffering.

And if Lady Tsunade had lied about Takeo being looked after, what else was she hiding? How much had Kakashi Hatake known before Takeo was sent away?

A dark hand grabbed his shoulder in a firm grip. Calloused hands pulled the chuunin from his thoughts as they stopped in the middle of the street, forcing civilians to walk around them. "Don't do that. Don't you dare think you could have helped me more than you did."

"I could've tried, Takeo."

"You were a kid, Shikamaru. We all were." He muttered. He removed his hand as shop owners stared a little too long for Takeo's liking. He didn't trust the village he was given to when at deaths door, spying a few ANBU moving stealthily in the shadows. "You did the best you could and I can't thank you enough for that. But we need to get moving, we're being watched."

All eyes went to the buildings, Temari cursed as she and Shikamaru realised their friend's paranoia wasn't unfounded. It was infuriating to see Takeo tug his hood further over his face, allowing himself to be pulled along as memories of the past came back quickly.