Chapter 8: Rush

Takeo and Temari had awoken with the sunrise, eager to head back to the heat of the desert as quickly as possible. "Are you glad you came back?" Temari asked as she finished packing her scrolls away. She sent a glance at Takeo who was lying on his back, arms spread over the bed with Koneko curled up on his torso.

"Mhmm."

"Well, is that a yes or a no? Come on," Temari huffed playfully, "use your words."

"Yes, mum." Takeo rolled his eyes at the expression on Temari's face. Hands steadied Koneko as he sat up, hearing only a mewl of annoyance from the half asleep feline. "And yeah, I guess it was good to see my friends again."

"You guess?" Temari mocked, picking up Takeo's pouch and gesturing for him to get up. Takeo cradled Koneko in one arm and hid his pouch beneath his tan cloak with the other, as he followed Temari out the door. "Wow. And here I was expecting a slither of emotion in your reaction but clearly I overestimated your enthusiasm after seeing Shikamaru yesterday. Kakashi clearly destroyed any happiness you had, rather quickly."

Takeo scoffed. "Don't give the man too much credit. He ruined my mood, not my happiness." He placed the room keys in the letter box for the Inn supervisor to find later that morning, before exiting the building. They didn't get very far before a familiar voice called out to them.

"What're you both doing up so early?" Shikamaru questioned with his signature lazy smirk. He was leaning against the wall of the adjacent building, bringing a hand to cover his mouth as he yawned. "Everyone's still sleeping, you know." He vaguely gestured to the surrounding Inns and hotels filled with sleeping occupants.

"You..." Temari trailed off before just shaking her head and accepting he was there. Takeo on the other hand nudged Shikamaru with his elbow and greeted him with a grin, which was promptly returned. Together the three walked towards the gates, engaging in small talk.

"I can't leave the village unattended for too long." Temari explained to Shikamaru as they walked, Takeo hanging back to give the two a little room as they strolled past vendors. "Our business here is finished, so we just thought we'd head back as soon as possible."

"Without even eating breakfast?" Shikamaru queried, shoving his hands deeper into his pockets. He sent a brief look back at Takeo after hearing him furiously apologising to someone, only to see Hinata blushing profusely.

"I'll find a tea house or something along the way and eat there. What're you doing here?" Temari said, looking back to see just what trouble Takeo was getting in to. Shikamaru chuckled and Temari grinned as they watched Takeo pick up the bread Hinata had dropped with his free hand.

"I'm so sorry, Hinata." He spoke quickly, clearly remembering the last time they had met which hadn't gone so well in Takeo's opinion. He adjusted Koneko, who stirred in her sleep. Claws kneading into the fabric of his cloak.

Hinata had been staring at Takeo for a few moments before dropping her gaze to her shoes. "It's no problem, Takeo-kun. It's good to see you again." She managed to shoot a quick smile his way before looking off to where Temari and Shikamaru were standing, talking in quiet conversation. "Are you leaving again?"

"I am." Takeo muttered, unable to come up with a nice way of explaining his prompt departure, despite only entering less than twenty four hours ago. "I need to go home to see my friends. And I miss the desert, believe it or not."