Chapter 9: The Boy In Red

Please vote, commnt and fan if you like!

Deicated to Bookani- thank you for the follow! (will be doing for all followers!)

---------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9: The Boy In Red

A couple of weeks had passed and things had been going extremely well. After joining the cheerleading group things had gotten a lot better for me. I had more friends, I was socialising more. I was happier.

As for George and I, we remained on talking terms. I had butterflies in my stomach whenever I was around him, and could not help feeling nervous whenever we spoke. I guess it was just excitement, knowing that we were close again. I knew it wasnt love. I consoled myself by realising that he wasnt the exact same person as he once was when we were younger. I hardly knew this new George. I still had a lot to learn about him.

We saw each other sometimes on Saturday, if George wasn't busy with Alana, and of course at every chemistry lesson. We would also talk to each other outside of college via texting, so things were going pretty well. Most of our conversations were based on the past, reminiscing on childhood memories.

We never really hung out together during college. We had separate friendship groups. Separate lives.

He was still friends with Miles. They hung out every lunch time. Although I was on good terms with George now, it irked me that despite everything he still had Miles' back.

I never told George about what happened in the alley way with Miles. I dont think I ever could without it resulting in a full mental breakdown. There's also the question of whether he would believe me or not.

As for Miles, occasionally I would see him watching us practice in the gym, playing basketball as an excuse. He would change into his sports gear and hang about hardly playing the game. Because he was too busy trying to make me feel uncomfortable. During maths class I would catch him staring at me across the room. He was planning something but I didn't know what. I ignored it. He was just doing it to faze me. And I was not going to let it get to me.

--------------------------------------------------------------

The competition was at the end of this week and I felt nervous but I just wanted to get it over and done with. However, the good news was that there was another couple of months until the rugby game.

After college we had worked out the technical details for our performance such as the lightings etc.... and of course we had more practice to ensure that we had really nailed this routine.

After an hour we ended practice feeling pretty confident. As we left the gym Leah and I went to the sports field to watch the boys practice for the game. Her boyfriend was on the team. As was George.

We made our way to the stands and sat there while we watched the boys practicing for the game. Danny was on the white team and George was on the red. George hadn't looked in our direction but I was hoping he would. Danny came over and gave Leah a peck on the lips and looked at me and gave me a nod, as a way of saying "hi". I nodded back. Danny and Leah had a quick conversation before he ran back off to practice.

During that time I took the liberty to look around the field. The boys were talking to eachother except one. The boy in red, wearing a number 13 jersey, waved towards my direction. I turned my head slowly behind me to see no one there. I looked back to the boy and saw him wave again. I pointed at myself unconsciously and I saw him nod. I wasn't sure what to do and I gave him a quick wave before turning to Leah.

"Looks like you got an admirer." She gave me a wink.

I scoffed. I couldn't even see who he was as he had his helmet on. But he had a good body build. I let my hair fall in front of my face as I focused on my hands which were on my lap. I wasn't sure what to make of the situation. The game had started again.

Leah and I watched the game intently. Occasionally I would hear Leah scream words of encouragement and praises to her boyfriend. I didn't know whether that would be deemed as cute or just a tad cheesy. Nonetheless it was nice seeing her being this happy. The practice game had nearly come to an end and only one more point was needed for the red team to obtain a win. The time on the clock was whittled down to 45 seconds.

"Danny's team are going to win" Leah competitively stated.

"Nah, I think the red team are going to win this, I mean they look so much more focused now that there's less than 1 minute on the board."

Leah looked at me and rolled her eyes, "You're only supporting them because George is on the red team" she winked at me.

"...what's that supposed to mean?"

She looked at me and smirked but didn't say a word.

I brushed her remark off and focused back on the game. It was intense. The ball gotten into the hands of number 15 in the red team and he was bolting across the field. Quick pass to 7 then another long throw to 13. Number 13 ran as fast as he could and made it across the line just by the skin of his teeth whilst being tackled to the floor. The red team had won.

I looked at Leah giving her a look of "I told you so." She accepted her defeat and cheered along with me. After a few minutes I looked onwards and saw number 13 making his way towards us. The smile on my face had completely dropped and I had become nervous. I saw Leah get up presumably going to her boyfriend. I looked at her in desperation and she gave me a thumbs up for encouragement before leaving.

"Hi" he said. He had a raspy tone in his voice but also quite seductive.

"...hi" I said. I looked up to see him but his helmet was still on his head. He sat beside me where Leah was sat and took off his helmet.

I looked at him in disbelief. He was gorgeous. He had silky blonde hair which was slicked back and blue eyes that almost looked sparkled like the ocean on a sunny day. His smile was welcoming but also inticing and his teeth were as white as pearls. Yet I still didn't know who he was.

"You don't recognise me?" he said.

"Am I supposed to?" I blurted out before thinking, once again. My eyes widened, "I'm sorry I didn't mean it like that-"

"It's ok" he chuckled, "it's cute."

I sat there in disbelief.

"We went to the same primary school but I left after year 5. Maybe that's why you don't remember me?" he paused for a while to let out a soft laugh, "we were in class one day, probably year 4 and you had a palette of paint which you were walking around with and you tripped and dropped it all over my head. Remember?"

"Lucas?" I subconsciously pointed my finger at him.

"Yeah that's me," he said

Woah. Lucas had changed. He used to be quite chubby as a kid but talk about transformation. I didn't even recognise him.

"I'm so sorry I didn't recognise you. You look great..." I had gotten quieter as the sentence progressed.

"You don't looked too bad yourself." He smiled innocently.

And at that moment George walked up to us, unexpectedly.

"Hey Nance you alright?" he said. My heart fluttered as I nodded.

"Luke we need to go mate, coach wants to talk" George said to him. Lucas nodded and got up before leaving he looked at me.

"See you around Nance." He smile with his pearly white teeth before leaving.

I looked down to reach for my bag and I saw a piece of paper beside it. I opened it up and it has a number on it, underneath the name that was signed was Lucas. I scoffed. I looked up and looked across the field. He was walking backwards whilst looking my way and used his fingers as a gesture to say "call me." I was blushing.

I look further to see George, his face turned to looks of confusion. He glanced toward my direction before dragging Lucas and turning him around to make sure he was walking straight.

What a strange boy.