Chapter 1: Bittersweet Memories

Dedicated to Bluehairgypsy thanks for the follow! will be doing for all followers!

please vote, comment and fan if you like!!

---------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 1: Bittersweet memories

~ Flashback ~

"That's not fair George! It's my turn to have a go!"

"In a minute Nance! And besides, YOU don't even know how to ride a bike!"

"I do too!"

"Do not."

"I'll prove it to you if you let me have a go."

"There aren't any stabilisers you know."

Oh. Ego isn't a great quality to have, but when you're a child you don't know any better. You get so hung up on proving the other one wrong that you forget to stay within the limits that refrain you from making a fool of yourself. I created a huge fuss over proving George wrong that I ended up making quite a big mistake.

I walked towards the bike with such confidence, but inside I had never felt more hesitant. It felt like jumping off a diving board knowing that you weren't able to swim. I knew I was going to embarrass myself, but once I set my mind on something there was no going back.

As soon as I perched myself on the seat I started having second thoughts. I looked back at George. The grin on his face had doubled since the last time I looked at him. I gulped as I glanced down the steep hill, my eyes almost bulging out of their sockets. What were you thinking Nancy?

"Go on then! Show me!"

"I am!" I was annoyed. Not at him but at myself.

I lifted my feet from the ground onto the pedals. I couldn't balance myself on the bike and I refused to look at George. He must be looking so smug right now. So instead I decided to use the hill to my advantage to help me ride. With one foot on the pedal and the other on the ground, I lunged myself forward and before I knew it I was riding the bike. My face was beaming with feelings of pride, inflating my ego even more. If only I could see the look on George's face. That'll teach him to make a bet with me.

I spoke too soon. The bike started gaining more and more traction, hurtling furiously down the hill. I had no control. I lost my balance and the bike tilted with me on it, rolling down the hill, full speed ahead. My body scraped and bumped against rough concrete road before finally rolling to a stop.

I felt; numb, stupid and deflated, as in my ego, which grew into the size of a hot air balloon to only burst from too much pride. I couldn't really remember what happened after that as everything faded to black. All I could hear was George's voice inching closer screaming my name.

The doctor said that I hit the floor head first causing a concussion, but other than a few bruises, I was ok. As soon as I got home George was the one to greet me first. I thought he was going to tell me, "I told you, you won't be able to ride the bike," but instead he gave me a hug asking if I was ok, and how stupid I was for doing something I couldn't do.

I still remember this particular moment because I had never seen such sincerity in his eyes. Whenever I was in pain George would be the one to make sure that I was ok and that I wasn't alone. I could always rely on him, for anything and everything. Friends like him don't come by often.