CHAPTER 39:

Killian

I walked into the guest room that Damian was going to stay in and shut the door behind me.

"Who was on the phone?" He asked immediately.

There was no lying to Damian—he always knew when I was lying.

"It was Ruslan," I told him as he stiffened.

"What did he really want?" Damian asked cautiously.

"The leader of The Lions was in contact with him. He is going to leave The Black Dragons alone since Ruslan has declared to pull all ties away with Dante," I explained as I sat on a nearby couch.

"So what are we going to do?" Damian asked as he took a seat on a nearby armchair.

I could tell by the way he was moving that he was in extreme pain, but he didn't want to show it.

"We are not going to do anything. You are leaving and I am staying," I ordered as his face instantly fell.

"What the hell? We're in this together brother! What changed in a few damn hours?" He protested and winced from his arm.

"That's what changed!" I yelled back. "You're hurt because of this mess! If that bullet had hit you an inch to the side, you would have permanent nerve damage and never be able to use your arm properly again!" I shouted as Damian scoffed.

"So this is about a damn gunshot wound now? I've been in the field in far worse conditions and you know it. I'm going to call Sam and Griffin and try to do something productive," he stated flatly as he reached for his phone.

I grabbed his phone and he winced trying to grab it.

"Look at you! You're putting on a good show but you're in pain Damian!" I yelled back.

"Hasn't stopped me before and it won't stop me now," he reasoned as he reached for his phone again, but I kept it just out of reach. "Killian, you need to let me help! I can't sit on my ass while people die. Don't you care?"

"I'm your brother D," I whispered, my voice softer, hurt by his words. "You're my family, of course I care. I'm not going to lose you to this—a fight that we can't win, even with your skills."

"If I don't try, the guilt of thinking I could have done something to help will chew away at me," he revealed. "Where does that leave us then? Is Xander coming back or do we have to get Dante to talk?" He asked firmly.

"Xander should have been back by now, but since he's not, I'll have to try and get information out of Dante."

"And if you can't?" He prompted as I sighed.

"Then I won't have a choice. I have to call Haywood," I revealed as Damian backed away with disappointment on his face.

"You know what he's like Killian! You don't know what he'll ask for in return! That's suicide!" He shouts as I hush him.

"Shh! You're going to wake everyone up! We're running out of time and options D! We're spread too thin and we don't have Ruslan to back us up," I told him sternly, hoping he would see the reality of our situation.

"Promise me that he will be the last option. Find another way until there are no more ways," he advised as a knock came on the door.

It opened slowly and Rebecca walked in rubbing her eyes.

"I promise," I whispered to Damian.

Rebecca wore purple shorts and a matching tank top. Her brunette hair was tucked in a bun at the top of her head and she was still wearing the ring I had put on her.