CHAPTER 70:

Rebecca

I looked into Adam's watery eyes, not wanting to answer, knowing it would only hurt him.

"You already know who I'm going to pick, don't you?" I questioned as the tears flowed steadily down his cheeks now.

"I need to hear you say it," he croaked, my heart crushing at the pain I'm causing him.

I sighed deeply, shakily, shutting my eyes tightly and opening my mouth.

"I'm choosing him," I revealed as Adam sobbed.

I opened my eyes and saw him covering his face with his hands.

"I can't have you be a part of this. There's so much more to this than you know and you shouldn't even have to know what you do," I tried to comfort him, touching his arms but he backed away.

"No. Don't give me that bullshit," he cursed as he took his hands from his face. "Don't tell me you're choosing him because you want to protect me."

"If I chose you, you'd never be safe. I was foolish for thinking you'd be safe," I reasoned, his body tensing at my every word.

"But it's always been him hasn't it?" Adam exclaimed, causing me to shiver.

"Yes," I flatly stated, not wanting to hurt him any more than I already am.

He walked up to me and cupped his hands over my cheeks gently before pressing his lips to mine.

I didn't pull back.

I felt his tears wet my cheeks as his lips tasted mine for the last time before he pulled away.

"Goodbye Rebecca," he whispered, backing away from me and drying his tears with his hands.

"Goodbye Adam," I called before he turned and left the room.

I'm not sure why, but as soon as he left, tears of my own were able to pour down my cheeks.

I silently cried and fell to the floor. I clutched my chest and brought my face to my knees as the sun continued to rise, shedding more light into the room.

It wasn't long before I saw a vehicle leaving the area, quickly, undoubtedly Adam rushing to get away from the person who ripped his heart out just minutes ago.

In my crying mess I heard the door creak open and I looked up.

The sun shines through the windows brighter now and it was clear that Dante stood in the doorway.

His composure was relaxed but he seemed timid and didn't want to take a step forward.

He was in his normal business attire; a suit, this particular one brown with a cream color button up underneath with no tie.

"You okay?" He asked with concern laced in his voice.

"I'll survive," I snorted as I wiped my tears away and stood up.

"When you're ready, I'd like for you to come downstairs. I think there's some people you want to see," he spoke in a soft tone, almost trying not to push me too hard.

I nodded and wiped my face once more before following him down the stairs into what appeared to be the kitchen.

Standing there were a group of men.

They all chatted until Dante cleared his throat and suddenly four pairs of eyes landed on me.

Amongst the men were Reese, Morgan, Vincent and a face I thought I'd never see again; Tyson.

"Tyson?" I asked incredulously, my body freezing in place.

He looked the same as he did when I saw him last, minus a few scars he had probably gotten in the car crash.