CHAPTER 43:

Rebecca

"Is everything okay ahead?" I asked cautiously as Tyson slowed down onto a stopped road.

"There's just a wreck up ahead. These men are just leading us to a detour," Tyson explained as he followed the detour. "Just a few more minutes than usual, but we'll still get there," he added confidently as he went down a vacant street.

We were almost back into city congestion when something rammed into our car, hard, from the driver's side.

I was thrown into the door, my seatbelt catching me but not before glass shattered down onto my lap.

I squealed out in terror and pain.

I looked at my mother who was grasping her stomach, protecting her baby that hadn't even seen this world yet.

There was another hit from behind me, something hard hit my back, knocking me forward and causing me to scream in pain.

I caught myself on the seat with my hands, glass scraping and getting caught in my palms.

My nose started to bleed and red dropped onto the seat below me.

"Is everyone alright?" Tyson asked loudly as I spit blood from my mouth and wiped blood from my nose.

"Just peachy! Get us the hell out of here!" I barked as gunshots filled the area.

Tyson stepped on the accelerator pedal and got us a few feet before there was another crash, this time to the front of the vehicle and the side, stopping us and rolling the vehicle sideways.

I felt my head hit the roof of the car and my breath hitched as glass and car parts fell on top of me.

I looked up and saw my mom caught on her seatbelt.

I tried to reach for her, but I couldn't move.

My vision blurred and became black for a moment before I felt I was able to see correctly.

I felt a wetness on my face; I knew it was blood because my hands were also covered in it.

I turned to help my mom, but she was gone. I looked in the front seat for Tyson, but he was gone too.

My voice was caught in my throat and I couldn't say anything.

I undid my seatbelt and fell on the door.

My throat was dry and I speak.

My body felt weak, but I could smell smoke around me. I climbed to the top of the car and out the side window, scraping my body with glass.

I rolled off the car and hit the ground hard, knocking me breathless and causing me to cough up blood.

I stood up and walked a few steps before I hit the ground again, unable to move.

My voice was stuck in my throat. I couldn't call for help, I couldn't call for anyone.

I felt tired and the cold asphalt was shutting my body down faster. My breathing was hitched and it slowed down as my eyelids felt heavier and heavier.

"Hey there," a strange voice called as I felt a figure standing over me.

I tried to get any word out, but nothing came out.

"Shh," the stranger soothed as he bent down and blocked the sun from my face.

I tried to study him to keep my mind active and my eyes open.

He had high cheekbones, pale skin, green eyes, and striking blonde hair that he had tucked in a near ponytail at the nape of his neck.

"It's a pleasure to see you, little one. I've gone through a lot of trouble to get you," he smiled as my eyes went wide.

I tried to crawl away, but my limbs could only take me so far before my body gave out from pain.

"I'm sorry, I'm being rude," he chuckled as he towered over me. "My name is Lachlan. Lachlan Lion."

Officer Atkins

"She's losing too much blood! The car crash left her with internal bleeding," a surgeon called in the OR.

"We have to get the baby out, she's losing too much blood. Prep for an emergency c-section," another surgeon called as a few residents in the teal surgical outfits grabbed a few trays of metal tools.

One of the surgeons took a tool with a sharp edge and started cutting her exposed belly.

The heart monitor got increasingly loud and the beeps were very close together as they performed the c-section.

"Babies out, someone cut the cord," a surgeon ordered as another surgeon did as she instructed. "Take the little one and get him cleaned," she instructed as another surgeon did as she asked.

"We need to find the source of the bleeding or she's going to crash," a surgeon stated as the beep's speed increased even further.

The surgeons moved around and worked on saving her simultaneously, but then the heart meter sounded one steady beep with a flat line.

"Get me a crash cart!" One shouted as the surgeons prepared one. "Clear!" She yelled as she shocked Alexandra's incapacitate body. "Clear!" She shouted again, jolting her body once more.

The beeping was still on a steady, continuous loop and a flat line.

The surgeons up the voltage, but each time there was no response.

"Time of death, 12:47 PM," a surgeon called as they all stopped what they were doing.

"Excuse me," a surgeon called as she walked over to me. "Are you here because Dante sent you?" She asked.

"Something like that, yes," I told her as she smiled.

"Tell him we did everything we could, and that she gave birth to a beautiful baby boy," she told me as her smile faded. "He's early so we placed him in an incubator. He'll be just fine, but he is still premature. We'll give you information as it comes."

"Thank you," I told her as I smiled.

I reached in my pocket for my cell phone and found Dante's contact.

This would be the worst news I've ever brought him, but I have to tell him.

"Officer Atkins, do you copy," my radio sounded.

"Yes I copy, what's the problem?"

"Driver's barely alive, dead soon. We identified him as Tyson Trainer. Forensics identified that Alexandra Vecellio was at the scene and Rebecca Vecellio, but Rebecca's not here or anywhere for that matter," Officer McKinley radioed back.

"Where the hell is she then?" I cursed.

"There's blood trailing away from the vehicle but then it just stops. She couldn't have just walked away without leaving a blood trail. She was taken by someone," he radioed.

"How is she?" Xander asked as he slowly walked over to where I was standing.

Xander had dirt on his clothes and a little blood. His face was bruised and he had small cuts on his arms.

"How did you know she was here?" I asked him as he leaned against the wall.

"The Lions leader had his men come after me when he realized I was in Russia. One of the men said I could find her here, that he brought her here," he spoke softly as I sighed.

"You better take a seat," I started as his face instantly fell.