CHAPTER 45:

Rebecca

My eyes felt heavy when I started to wake up and my head pounded.

I felt groggy, like I was in one of those dreams where I needed my eyes open, but they wouldn't open.

I felt cold and my entire body hurt.

When I opened my eyes, it was blurry at first, but then I saw darkness.

There was a single light that was down the hall from where I was and as my eyes adjusted to the darkness, I saw bars.

I was in a jail cell.

What the hell is going on?

I sat up slowly and felt something tugging at my arm.

I looked down and saw a near empty IV bag. The needle was in my arm with it taped there. I peeled the tape off my arm and slid the needle out before dropping it on the small mattress I was laying on.

My arms were bandaged and I felt a bandage above my eyebrow.

I hoisted myself up and limped over to the bars of the cell, my body burning in pain with every step.

My frail hands wrapped themselves around the bars and I started shaking them, but they wouldn't budge.

"Let me out of here you crazy son of a bitch!" I called but no one answered.

My body started hurting more so I stopped shaking the bar door and just listened.

I heard squeaky footsteps coming my way, but I was too petrified to back away.

"I'm sorry it had to be this way, but you wouldn't give me a choice," a deep voice echoed through the hall.

I waited a few more moments and then he came into my vision.

He stood a foot above me, his high cheekbones were prominent and his green eyes striking. He wore his hair in a low ponytail like before and he had a gray shirt on with jeans and brown beat up boots.

"Do you remember who I am dear?" He asked as he cocked his head slightly and placing his hands behind his back.

"You're—you're the leader of The Lions," I breathlessly trailed out. "Lachlan," I continued as he gave me a toothy grin.

"Wonderful. You do remember me," he boasted as relaxed his body.

"Where am I?" I asked suddenly.

"I like to call this place the Lion's Den," he smiled and stepped closer to me.

I backed up and he furrowed his brows, seeming offended by my action.

"What do you want from me!" I yelled then.

"Your cooperation for starters," he scoffed and backed up a few feet.

"What do you want?" I retorted as he fell silent. "What do you want!" I repeated again, only to hear more silence from him.

I turned around and sat on the small bed behind me, tucking my knees to my chest. The pain in my body was becoming worse with every second.

"You," he finally whispered after a long period of silence.

"But why?" I asked quietly.

"You'll find out soon enough. Don't get yourself too worked up. You don't want to hurt yourself," he spoke softly as I clutched my side. "Are you in pain? I'm willing to bet you would like a glass of water and a few painkillers right about now. That car crash was no joke," he snickered.