Chapter 16 - Forgiveness & Disciplinary Hearing

Serenity woke up groggy, and heard her communicator go off. She turned over in her bed and spoke into the small device.

"Hello?" She asked.

"Hey Sere. There is a Disciplinary hearing at 5 tonight, which is supposed to be mandatory for all starfleet personnel. Do you think you can be ready and meet with me and the other admirals in twenty-five minutes?" Captain Christopher Pike asked. Serenity groaned, as she sat up in bed. Her hair was all messy, displayed like a halo around her head, and her eyes were crusted with dried tears.  She had spent several hours crying in her sleep. She looked around as she heard movement in the kitchen. Feeling around with her bond told her it was none other than Spock.

"I'll be there." Serenity confirmed. As she closed her communicator,  something to the left of her caught her eye,  and she noticed an arrangement of Blue Precìlis Lilies. They were her favorite flower,  and hard to come by. On the side of the flowers was a small card labeled,  I'm sorry. Please forgive me.- Spock PS: I Ashayam du. Serenity smiled, and mentally pulled Spock to her. She stayed in her spot on the bed. Spock gulped slightly, his ears a light shade of green. "Spock," she began.

"Yes..." Spock answered nervously.

"Thank you." Serenity noticed slight relief in his eyes,  but his posture was still tense. She instantly grabbed his collar and pulled him in for a kiss. "Spock my love, of course I forgive you. Now, please join me for the shower. I need help with my back... And a few other things, " Serenity told him seductively.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Serenity arrived, the other admirals welcomed her, and she took her place in the middle of their table. The other cadets and officers filed in ten minutes later. Among them, were Spock, Bones, Uhura, and Jim. The Admiral next to Serenity on her right started the hearing.

"Cadet Kirk, evidence has been submitted to the council suggesting that you violated the ethical code of conduct pursue and regulations 17.43 of the starfleet code. Is there anything you care to say before we begin, sir? " the admiral asked. Jim stood up and walked up to the pedestal.

"Yes. I believe I have the right to face my accuser directly." At Jim's request, Spock stands up and straightens his uniform. As the admiral speaks again, he makes his way to the stand.

"Step forward please. This is Commander Spock. He is one of our most distinguished graduates. He's programmed the Kobayashi Maru exam for the last 4 years. Commander? "

"Cadet Kirk, you somehow managed to install and activate a sub routine in the programming code therefore changing the conditions of the test." Jim shifted his weight uncomfortably.

"Your point being? " he asked.

"An academic vernacular, you cheated, " the admiral explained. The other students began to murmur quietly to one another. Jim took a breath, then responded.

"Let me ask you something, I think we all know the answer to, the test itself is a cheat, isn't it? I mean you programmed it to be unwinnable. "

"Your argument precludes the possibility of a no win scenario," Spock countered.

"I don't believe in no win scenarios," Jim fired back. At that moment, a strange other worldly feel of dread fell upon Serenity. It felt like death was near, (which she could potentially be at times) but under a wide scale. Someone was in trouble, however she didn't know who it was. Nor did she know how she knew, or why. Serenity shifted slightly in her seat.

"Then not only did you violate the rules, you also failed to understand the principles lesson, " Spock explained.

"Please enlighten me again," asked an annoyed Jim.

"You of all people should know Cadet Kirk, a captain cannot cheat death," Spock informed him. More murmurs floated around the room.

"I of all people?" Kirk asked, clearly slightly agitated.

"Your father. Lieutenant George Kirk assumed command of his vessel before being killed in action, did he not?" Spock told him bluntly.

"I don't think you like the fact that I beat your test," Jim said confidently. Inside Serenity's head, the feeling of dread began to intensify.

"Furthermore you have failed to define the purpose of the test, " Spock continued.

"Enlighten me again, " Jim repeated, a bit frustrated.

"The purpose is to experience fear. Fear in the face of certain death, to accept that fear, and maintain control of oneself and one's crew. This is a quality of every starfleet captain," Spock explained. As Serenity lifted her right hand to her head, her head began to pound slightly, and a male lieutenant ran to Admiral James Komack.

"Excuse me sir," the lieutenant said almost breathless. He handed the PADD to the admiral. After a moment he stood up and handed it back.

"We've received a distress call from Vulcan. With our primary fleet engaged in the Laurentian system, I hear by order all cadets to report to hanger one immediately. Dismissed." As everyone hurried into action, Serenity went to the USS Enterprise to find her old best friend, Captain Christopher Pike. When she found him, she hugged him for a few moments, then pulled away.

"I'm know I'm not technically part of the fleet, but I'm coming any way." Serenity took out a small box that functioned as a compass and a comm. "Tasha,  I need you to lock Beryl onto the Enterprise immediately. That's a direct order,  I don't want to have to repeat myself." Serenity closed her comm and put it away. "This is going to be a bumpy ride."