Chapter 36

The team I expected wins. I didn't even have to pay attention to know they would. It was an outmatched game from the start. We leave before the second match begins.

We exit the arena and Phillip says, "Maud and I are going to go check in for the night."

Trish frowns, "Aw, but it's been so much fun!" She and Maud clicked right away and talked all throughout the fights. I don't even think they paid attention either.

"Yeah, I'm a bit tired and I want to be able to stay up for your match tomorrow," Phillip explains. 

"Alright we'll see you in the morning then," Trish looks at me, "Maybe we should head to our room as well."

I nod, "I'd like to check on Beast first."

Phillip frowns at me, "You sure you're up for that?"

"I'm fine," I reply.

He gives me an unsure look and places the back of his hand on my forehead, "Zoe you're burning up."

I gently push his hand away, "Phillip, I'm fine."

Trish stands beside me, "I'm here for her, you don't have to worry."

Phillip sighs and nods reluctantly, "Okay, and be careful."

"We will!" Trish says. We part ways and start to head to Beast and Shawn's room.

I look to Trish and see a smirk. "What?"

"Your brother really cares about you."

"He's just making up for the lost time." He didn't care about me for two whole years. He's making up for it, and I'm actually okay with that. I thought I had lost him in the Shadow compound, but thankfully I didn't. I'm just happy I have a brother again.

"I think he's doing well."

I nod and we turn a corner. I feel a blast of cold air, and I shiver.

"Are you cold?"

"Yes," I say crossing my arms in front of me.

"Zoe, it's nearly eighty degrees in these hallways." I shrug and bring my arms in tighter. We turn a corner and I try my best to ignore the chill. "You might be coming down with something," Trish stops us and says, "Why don't we just head back and you can lay down early tonight."

"We are in their hallway," I argue, "I just want to make sure Beast is okay, that's all."

Trish sighs, "Okay, real quick though."

We walk to the door and Trish knocks.

"Yes?" we hear Shawn's voice come through muffled from the door.

"It's us, open the door," Trish calls in reply.

I hear a little commotion then shuffled footsteps. The door creaks open and Shawn pops his head out, "What?"

"We are just checking in on Beast," Trish says.

Shawn opens the door a bit more, but not past his shoulder, "He's still sleeping."

"Can we come in?" Trish asks as if she shouldn't have to.

Shawn falters and doesn't respond right away. "Just let him sleep, you can see him in the morning."

I notice his tense body language, and the tightness in his voice. "Shawn is everything okay?" I ask. 

As if on cue, something crashes from inside the room. I hear Beast yell, "Hey!"

Shawn tries to stop us but Trish and I push our way in. I'm thinking Beast's uncle somehow got back in and is keeping them quiet in their room.

What I find is even more crazy.