Chapter 56

His name is Phillip. My beautiful boy. I know I last left off with the decision of what I was going to do, but I decided. Obviously. I kept him.

Marcus and I talked for an hour. He told me he dealt with a similar issue before. He told me that he witnessed a young girl that went here choose to get rid of her child. He said that she cried. She cried until she couldn't cry anymore. Until the healers had to give her a sedative and send her home. He told me he didn't want to watch that happen to me.

So I kept him. Nine months later and here we are. We had him tested, vitals, scans, everything. They found him to be human. A healthy human being, with Aspen's gray eyes and light brown hair that resembles mine. My father says we can't keep the boy if we continue to live here in Omega. So while I'm happy my son has survived his birth, Aspen and I have made the decision to move out of the compound.

I'm writing this to just give an update in our new house. Well, sort of new. My grandmother owned this house when she was alive, and it has stayed in our family until now.

We are happy here. Aspen, Phillip and I. We are a family.

-Jen

4-10-1995

I messed that up, didn't I? I look around my room and can't help but feel responsible. They had their perfect, normal child and they were happy. Then I came along and ruined it all.

I look through the entries after and see they are informational ones on her progressing power. A few pages later I come across an entry and get a little nervous with the first few line.

He's back.

Eight years of being missing, and he just shows up on my doorstep. He made Aspen all worked up, he frightened my two year old son. He was filthy and covered in blood, but just looking in his eyes I could tell he's changed.

He started apologizing, but I cut him off. There's no way he was going to get out of this. 

But I let him in anyways. He took a shower, borrowed some of Aspen's clothes, and I cooked a wonderful meal for him.

He said he left because he couldn't deal with Dad's expectations. Being that he had no ability, our dad always looked down on him. But he came back for me. He came back because he heard I left the compound, I left Dad's insanity and I was starting to make my own life with my own rules. He came back because he found something to come back to.

He's back.

My older brother, John.

-Jen

5-26-1997

I reread the last sentence, again and again. I read it so many times that I don't even hear someone knocking on my door.

Her older brother, John? 

What?

It can't be the same John. There's no way. 

No way.

"Zoe! Are you going to open up or what?" I hear someone call from behind the door. 

I shake my head and call back, "Who is it?"

"Who else would be at your door this late?"

Someone trying to kill me because they're being possessed by some kind of black mist. "Be right there!" I hide the journal underneath my pillow and with shaky hands I open the door. There I find a surprise. I missed her long brown curls and her loud, powerful voice. "Trish?"